9735Re: [solectria_ev] Thinking of buying a dead '97 Solectria

  • Gordon Stallings
    Apr 29, 2014
      Robert,

      Your skill set and facilities sound perfect for converting a Force to lithium.  About a year ago, I converted my 99 Force from lead to LiFePO4.  It is very satisfying to me to have accomplished such a successful project. I highly recommend it.  I can go 70 miles on a charge without draining the cells enough to risk damaging them. I drive short distances and so only need to charge the car about once or twice a week.  The 100Ah cells can deliver the 250A full-power acceleration without harm.

      Details: CALB 100Ah cells, 56 in series.  20 in front, 36 in rear.  New charger charges to 190V.  No changes made to the stock Solectria AMC325 controller.  Cells were bottom-balanced before installation.  No BMS.  The lithium pack has now been in regular use for one year and there’s no sign of imbalance in the pack and no sign of decline.

      Deka gels will cost close to $4000.  If you can get in on the EVTV deal, total cost for the CALB 100 cells including shipping is around $6,000.    I say go for it!

      Concerning item 4:  You may need to reprogram your charger.  If it can’t be reprogrammed, replacement will cost $$.

      ==Gordon==
      On Apr 27, 2014, at 4:49 AM, Robert McElwee <miatamail@...> wrote:

      I'm a shade tree mechanic with a little welding experience, a little electrical experience, and a nice workshop at the house to store/work on a Solectrica. I have a good income but I am very frugal (cheap). I currently drive a '94 Geo Metro as my "work car" and get around 50 MPG. I'm looking at buying a '97 Solectria Force with a dead battery pack. I'm in Charleston, SC so I have fairly moderate weather. The place I work is 16 miles away and the drive is 45-55 MPH on mostly flat roads. I'll be able to charge the car at home and at work (12 hour shifts).

      A few questions:

      1) Is the Solectria the car for me?
      2) What kind of battery pack should I be replacing the current Decca Gels with?
      3) How much total for the replacements?
      4) Any modifications needed when replacing the batteries with something else?

      Thanks in advance for any info/help you can give me!

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic