Re: [solectria_ev] RE: Looking for an AMC325 to help troubleshoot.

(9651)
  • Wolf
    Feb 3 Expand Messages

      I re-sold it to Doug, (same price I paid  to Dan).

      I have Dan's old controller, which is still under repair... I could get it back up and running for around $1000.00

      It had the following failure mode:

      1. Failed voltage reference, which caused the main power supply to operate with the current loop only (no voltage regulation).

      2. This glitches the speed decoder which caused improper MOSFET drive signals.

      3. Excessive drive current melted the motor connector, causing the contacts to separate.

      4. Arching at the motor connector caused extremely high voltage across the power diodes.

      5. Once a diode failed open, the remaining diodes had to take up the failed ones load, which caused them to all quickly fail.

      6. With out the diodes, the MOSFETs went into avalanche conduction.

      7. This causes the observed shuttering/bucking during regen.

      8. Shuttering/bucking during regen, causes excessive current draw, go back to step 3. ;)

      The power supply board has been repaired.

      Next is to replace the 48 power diodes, (with equivalents, since they are obsolete).

      There is a possibility that the 48 power MOSFETs might need to be replaced too, they are fully avalanche rated, but I am not sure how high a voltage they got exposed to, and there would be asymmetric current sharing between them, so some could be weakened with damaged cells.

      I can still get the original 3rd gen 250V MOSFETs... But if I am going to replace them all I might as well jump to an equivalent 300V 6th gen MOSFET.

      And then replace all the 250V bulk caps with 300V.

      Then the controller would meet the typical 50% working voltage margin, rather than the 20% it is now.

      Sorry, it's been sold to Wolf.