9163Re: Charger puzzle

  • Raymond
    Jul 7, 2013
      Thank you, Josh. I understand the charging profile, but didn't know the
      stages were called by these names. l'm going to put labels on those red
      lights!Until a better idea comes along, I'm proceeding on the theory
      that a temperature sensor is telling the charger not to charge until the
      batteries cool down after a trip. On a very hot day this takes about
      four hours; on a nice summer day like this one, one and a half to two
      hours will do the trick.However, it won't start charging when plugged in
      to 240v; I have to unplug it, and then plug it in again and it fires
      right up!As the evidence accumulates I'm closing in on the problem, I
      think.Ray
      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Josh Anzicek wrote:

      > Good day,
      >
      > This is a very common lead acid charge profile. Most solar charge
      > controllers also follow the same process.
      >
      > From
      > http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html
      >
      > Three Stage Battery Charging
      >
      > The *BULK* stage involves about 80% of the recharge, wherein the
      charger
      > current is held constant (in a constant current charger), and voltage
      > increases. The properly sized charger will give the battery as much
      current
      > as it will accept up to charger capacity (25% of battery capacity in
      amp
      > hours), and not raise a wet battery over 125┬░ F, or an AGM or GEL
      (valve
      > regulated) battery over 100┬░ F.
      >
      > The *ABSORPTION* stage (the remaining 20%, approximately) has the
      charger
      > holding the voltage at the charger's absorption voltage (between 14.1
      VDC