9121re: [solectria_ev] Re: Charger puzzle

    Jun 24, 2013
      The last BC3000 I worked on, had a bad capacitor in the main 15V supply.

      The standby supply was able to help the main supply during the undervolt
      conditions to keep it working.

      However, the standby supply is so inefficient that it actually burns the
      circuit board, if the main supply is undervolting and drawing power from it.

      So, if you want to try and fix it yourself, then make sure the charger is
      fully discharged and then open it up.

      If you see burned circuit board like this:
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7734.jpg
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7737.jpg
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7739.jpg

      Then replace this 25V 47uf capacitor:
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7872.jpg

      Replace with automotive grade, at least 85C 10,000 hour capacitor.

      Then go back and blob on solder like this:
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7742.jpg
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7744.jpg
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/images/IMG_7746.jpg

      The extra solder acts like a heatsink, and adds structural support to all
      the resistors, since the circuit board has delaminated.

      All the pics are here:
      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3000/index.htm

      There is a 90% chance this is what is wrong with your charger.