8710Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Lithium Batteries Needed

  • Wade Perry
    Jan 3, 2013
      Yes. If the money doesn't really matter so much, I'd agree with going for
      the 100s. More range is better than less. Although more weight in
      batteries means for less brisk acceleration, but I don't think this is a
      big factor, especially since we've chosen to drive these cars. Geo metros
      are not particularly performance-oriented!
      You can save some $2,500 by going with the 60s. It was the money that
      forced me to consider this, and after considering it, I decided that I
      didn't really need the range. If you don't really need the range, it
      doesn't make sense to pay extra for the privilege of hauling around extra
      weight in batteries you don't ever use. Keep in mind though that these 60s
      are a different shape than the SE 60s, they're tall and skinny. I still
      haven't shimmed around my rear battery box, the cover is resting right on
      top of the bolt heads of the cell connectors. This isn't ideal, but it
      works for now.
      You can of course lay them on their side somehow... But I wanted them to
      display well so I left them standing up, even though they're "too tall".
      As of this moment I'm up to 1,865 miles on my pack of 56) CALB CA60FI
      cells. Very small pack, very light, and the car is nimble, to say the
      least. I love pressing the accelerator down and having still more torque
      beneath. I never drive in economy these days, probably I'm half "normal",
      half "power". Like a fool I sometimes just regen and then accelerate and
      then regen while I'm driving down the road. Totally the opposite of what I
      did with the Gels. (Always in Econ, hypermiling, being very careful) I
      enjoy that smooth feeling of change in velocity. This isn't advice to
      anyone. But it's quite fun.
      No BMS either-
      I think the time I spent learning a feel for these cells was well worth it.
      Wade Perry