8624Re: [solectria_ev] Thermal Management System

  • Wade Perry
    Dec 3, 2012
      Hi Tom.
      The cells cannot be "undercharged", in any sense that would cause them
      damage anyway. Totally different from Lead. In fact it's better to
      undercharge them a bit, or as Bouty says "stay away from the knees".
      Charging to 3.4v is good. Very conservative, you'd probably be fine
      charging to 3.5v, and get a little extra capacity on the top end.
      (although there's risk of exceeding the operating voltage of the
      controller, which is theoretically 190v, if you interrupt the end of a
      charge and try to drive without letting the cells settle down to resting
      voltage)
      I'm charging up to ~192v right now when the charger enters the Constant
      Voltage phase of the charge. I'd thought that was a little low but based
      on my "pack emptying" experiment and getting a full 60 Ahr out, why change
      anything? (Of course that last Ah wasn't really usable for much, but I did
      make it to 60!) I do plan on setting my new charger to go to 196v though.
      Congratulations by the way on your own transplant. Very impressive and
      very neatly done! (I'm envious actually- looking at the snarl of wires
      beside my own pack)
      Wade