8484Re: [solectria_ev] NLG4 problems WAS Re: '97 Force CALB 100 Upgrade

  • Tom Hudson
    Nov 2, 2012
      Incidentally, I finished mounting the NLG5 in the Force this afternoon -- built up a
      pretty nice adapter out of aluminum that allows the NLG5 to bolt in where the NLG4 used
      to, and allows for easy bolt-free removal of the charger if necessary. Took me a while to
      figure out a good way to do this; I thought it was odd that the NLG5 has no mounting
      flange, bolt holes, etc. but this gets around it in a fairly simple way.

      -Tom

      On 11/2/2012 12:27 PM, Tom Hudson wrote:

      > Yeah, that's a pretty classic failure mode. You should have seen Mike Rydjord's charger
      > he sent me for repair several years back. The arcing from one of the caps (failure at a
      > solder joint) had really hosed one of the PCBs. Did a fair amount of radical
      > reconstruction on it and got it working again; luckily the problem was localized and it
      > hadn't taken out other major components.
      >
      > Facing facts, these chargers are getting to be upwards of 17 years old, and they take
      > quite a beating thermally. I still have a bunch of them in my shop that I need to get to
      > Wolf if he still wants them -- lots of parts in those -- but I just got tired of
      > constantly having to mess with mine to keep them working. I wasn't crazy about spending
      > the bucks on a couple of NLG5s but they just work without me having to spend many hours
      > opening them up and troubleshooting them.
      >
      > Getting these higher-capacity battery packs kind of magnifies the problem -- much longer
      > charge cycles for the chargers means more wear and tear.
      >
      > -Tom
      >
      > On 11/2/2012 12:05 PM, geo_homsy2 wrote:
      > >
      > > Ahhhhh, the "half power" problem. I never heard of it before, but it makes sense, given
      > > what happened to my NLG4 last week.
      > >
      > > My NLG4 has been running at half power ever since I started monitoring it a few weeks
      > > ago. I just thought it was doing that for some "good" reason. And, the current was
      > > jittery. Again, I thought that's just the way it is.
      > >
      > > Then, last week, it bit it, big time. Opening up revealed the cap board had zorched on
      > > one side.
      > >
      > > So, my guess is that it was running at half power 'cause one side was marginally smoked
      > > for a LOOOOONG while, and it finally bit the dust when it got so bad that the input
      > > fuses finally blew?
      > >
      > > Does this make sense to anyone/everyone? Anyone seen this problem before? Tom? Wolf?
      > >
      > > //Geo
      > >

      > --
      > Thomas Hudson
      > http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power & More