8RE: [force_ev] I drive a '92 or '93 Force

  • Tom Hudson
    Jul 6 9:39 PM
      Well, with two Solectria vehicles now, we hope we won't have to drive the
      gas car that much anymore!

      What I saw on the Prius was on their website: "expected low 50s mpg in the
      city and low 40s mpg on the highway". Our Saturn gets around 35 on the
      highway, which is where we'd be using it, so a probable 8MPG bump isn't that
      significant. We'd go for the Insight like a shot if it wasn't a two-seater.

      Speaking of the Insight, can you believe that it actually has a bunch of
      D-cell-sized NiMH batteries (120) wired in series that provide power for the
      electric motor?! D cells! Seems a bit rinky-dink to me. 120 modules also
      seems like a lot of places to have a failure. Makes me wonder how they're
      going to handle that in the Prius. I think I'd feel better having fewer,
      higher-voltage modules...

      You might want to subscribe to the Insight mailing list, it's also at
      EGroups. There's been talk over there about hacking the car to make it do
      some things differently, might be fun to listen in on.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho -- Electric Vehicles
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power