7323Re: amc 325 and temps

    Jun 11, 2011
      Dex,
      Can't answer your question on controller but wanted to say I sure think you are correct in that the condensor and controller configuration in certain year groups could be "better".

      It doesn't get much hotter than the 100+ numbers we get around here sometimes and I have often looked for a way to duct air to the 325 that didn't go through the condensor first. But I worry more about battery use in the same conditions more than I do the controller. The pack gets heat soaked and it doesn't really have any cooling air.

      Hot batteries have a lot of extra "zoom zoom" but at a cost in longevity. Use of econ or normal is definitely in the best interest of all components.

      FWIW I rewired my motor fan so it is "hot" all the time. The temp sensor can turn it on and off at will. I never liked shutting the car down and taking away the cooling fan. I believe Solectria might have this arrangement on some years.

      Mike R
      97 Force

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "dexion111" <dexion111@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know the max operating temp for the 325?
      >
      > The brusa manual says the fans kick on at 40C (104F) and the current cuts back at 45C (113F.)
      >
      > With the air con running (and blowing hot air on the controller, which I think could be a bad design here heh) and after getting home from a one hour drive, my controller was 50C (122F at the fins and the motor was 74C (165F) and the air con dc motor was also 74C (165.)
      >
      > Im not too worried about the motors since the motor overheat trip is 150C (302F) i was only 1/2 way there.
      >
      > I am worried however about the controller. If they kick on the fans at 40 and start limiting at 45 it was running at 50 pretty much the whole way home (its about 35C (95F) ambient now outside) it can get to 40C just ambient around here at times.
      >
      > Am i worried about nothing do they have a max operating temp much higher than 45C?
      >
      > I didnt notice any lack of power. I do however drive around in normal not the power setting.
      >
      > thanks
      > dex

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic