5580Re: [solectria_ev] Isolating a Solectria DC-DC converter

    Aug 10, 2009
      This is a RC snubber:
      > HV+ -- C3 -- R4 -- Case
      > HV- -- C2 -- R3 -- Case
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

      It this application it is used to absorb the high dv/dt transients from
      the input stage, reducing electrical switching noise to prevent
      interference to the rest of the high voltage electronics.

      This is part of the output stage voltage sense circuit, it allows the
      DC-DC convertor to function and when there is no load, (or when its
      disconnected).
      > 12V+ -- C5 -- Case
      > 12V+ -- R2 -- Case
      > 12V- -- C4 -- Case
      > 12V- -- R1 -- Case

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com

      > I traced out the circuitry on the Solectria DCDC750. If I haven't
      > made any mistake, it's like this:
      >
      > HV+ -- C3 -- R4 -- Case
      > HV- -- C2 -- R3 -- Case
      >
      > 12V+ -- C5 -- Case
      > 12V+ -- R2 -- Case
      > 12V- -- C4 -- Case
      > 12V- -- R1 -- Case
      >
      > C2-C5 are 0.2mfd. R1,R2 are 1 megaohm. R3,R4 are 1 ohm.
      >
      > In addition there are much higher value capacitors across the input
      > and across the output.
      >
      > The purpose of the stuff above is hard to fathom, especially since in
      > normal use the 12V- output will be connected to the case. In any
      > event, I left the low voltage stuff alone and removed R3 and R4 to
      > disconnect the high-voltage side from the case and the 12V.
      >
      > Ken

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic