5124Re: New and Old Tires Review

  • Todd Martin
    Apr 3, 2009
      Hi Joshua,

      Let me give you an update.

      The original tire installer (Discount Tires) inflated the Sumitomo's to 32psi and I had poor efficiency numbers. In February, I increased the tire pressure to the maximum recommended on the tire sidewall: 55psi. This made a BIG difference, and I now have efficiency numbers just as good as my former completely bald (with steel belt showing) Dunlops.

      Regarding the tire sizes, I did not have any problems in switching from P155/80 R13 to P175/70 R13. The original rims worked just fine.

      I drove the car in Chicago area winter (February on) with the Sumitomo's at 55psi without any complaints. Yes, I did get stuck in the driveway once with 6 inches of snow. I won't blame the tires on that though.

      I like the new tires and now recommend them.

      Best regards,
      Todd Martin
      '97 Force
      Elgin, IL

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Goldstein" <jg@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to Todd for his tire info. I have some other tire questions. My '99
      > Force has worn through its tires way too quickly (from overinflating?
      > misalignment?) and I'm looking for replacements. (We do almost all
      > around-town and country-road driving.) The originals were P155/80 R13's but
      > people on this list seem to have been replacing those with P175/70 R13's.
      > Does anyone think that's a good/bad idea? (There aren't that many P155/80's
      > out there.)
      > Also, the Sumitomos that Todd and others have bought are summer tires and
      > I live in New England so does anyone have an idea for an all-weather tire?
      > Presumably that would increase rolling resistance but then again it's nice
      > not to go sliding into snow banks as happened this winter (no harm done this
      > time).
      > This leads to the more philosophical question -- how to reduce rolling
      > resistance other than overinflating the tires or having them get bald (both
      > of which reduce control). Someone posted a link to the Consumer Reports
      > article on rolling resistance, but the recommended tires were all R14 and
      > up.
      > Wondering how others have dealt with these tire issues...
      > Joshua Goldstein
      > '99 Force
      > Amherst, MA

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic