3387Another AH Counter Box Short

  • joshuasgoldstein
    Dec 20, 2007
      David Patterson and everyone:
      My AH meter died ('99 Force) and it turned out to be _exactly_ the
      problem described in the recent exchange between David Patterson and
      Stephen Taylor. As David noted, the AH meter seems to be a weak link
      that many of us will need to deal with.
      The symptoms were a blown 2A high-voltage fuse under the hood, an
      intact fuse on the AH box circuit board, a lot of scorching where pins
      1 and 2 come into the board with high voltage, and a short circuit
      across those 2 pins.
      My question is where to get the board repaired. I can try
      Solectria (Azure Dynamics) and wait quite a while. Or maybe David
      wants to earn some money doing these for us as they fail one by one??
      Or should I do what Stephen did and try to find a local
      electronics-minded person? Any advice?
      And the second question is, do I need to find and repair the
      "filter" described in the earlier post? If so is there any more info
      available about how to get to it and remove it from the vehicle?
      Thanks!
      - Joshua Goldstein

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "David Patterson"
      <DRPatterson@...> wrote:

      > Stephen:
      > Long answer:
      > I have had some success in repairing the shorting problem at or near
      the connector on the circuit board. If the 100 ma fuse inside is good,
      chances are the board/circuit is OK and the filter resistor acted as a
      fuse when input shorted over at edge of circuit board. Look at that
      area for burned board traces, water trails, etc. I isolated and
      bypassed that area and ran wire from screw connector to inside board
      fuse holder after cleaning up burnt area. Coated with clear RTV to
      further isolate.

      > You also have another 2 amp fuse for the AH meter under the hood, in
      added fuse box.

      > I am not sure that the resistor was 1000 ohms but when short was
      repaired, resistor replaced, unit is working OK. Filter is not
      documented in any diagrams I have seen.

      > Short answer:
      > You may be able to save the unit, It is worth giving it a look. I
      don't think BRUSA makes the meter anymore, other brands are available.
      See Xantrex Link 10 product for example.

      > David Patterson

      short as there is a little blackened area inside. Is this something I
      could get fixed or is the unit toast? I'm also assuming there are no
      replacement parts available for this anymore.

      > Stephen Taylor
      >
      > David Patterson <DRPatterson@...> wrote:
      > The "lump" is a filter added by Solectria on the DC to the AH
      meter primary feed. Mine was chared but I replaced with a 1000 ohm 1/4
      watt. The capacitor is 47 ufd . The resistor als acts as a fuse in
      this installation. There is a 100 ma (0.1) amp inside the AH
      controller box under the dash. If the resistor went, you may have a
      short. Open counter box and check circuit board under connecto;, very
      close foil pattern and have seen several short there as a result of
      moisture.

      > Hope this helps.

      trouble shoot it. So far I have determined that the pack voltage isn't
      getting to the AH counter box. The voltage, however, is present on the
      car side of the 4 pin Deutch connector. I disconnected the deutch and
      pulled the box out. I noted that there was a big lump between the
      connector and the box screw terminals so I cut that open and found
      that the Red Pack Positive Wire was broken. With my bad eyesight I
      thought I should just fix the break, but as I got to working I noted
      that whatever was broken looked more like some kind of resistor or
      something. It has a blue dot on the top and isn't more than an eighth
      of an inch long.