3351Re: Prius NiMH Batteries

  • Bill Swann
    Dec 2, 2007
      I dis-assembled a Prius battery pack. What I understand about the
      design I like. The cells are bolted to a common baseplate. There are
      series copper jumpers between the 38 cells. I saw a 125 amp fuse and
      a computer, into which the 5 temp sensors and 19 voltage measurments
      were fed. Also there are 2 single pole relays to disconnect the pack
      from the outside world. I saw what would appear to be a current
      measuring coil, but I do not undestend what it might do in a DC
      system except to verify the the reley worked. There are thermo wells
      in every cell, where the temp sensors are placed. Additionally, all
      38 cells were vented into a common tube to carry off gasses. There
      was one temp sensor in a plenum below the pack to verify air flow.
      And all of the cells had dimples on the sides so there would be a
      gaps between cells for cooling air flow. My next step is to see how
      many series combinations will fit in the Force battery boxes. It is a
      squeeze, but 4 might fit in the front battery box.
      Bill S

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Dorothy Swann <dbswann4@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for the math. I have not gotten around to doing that yet. I
      had just looked at the watt-hours per pound which was favorable. I
      inquired at a local surplus parts dealer, and battery packs in
      wrecked Priuss are available beginning at $ 400. My plan will be to
      acquire enough packs and build up a series/parallel combination on
      the bench, and start doing some load tests. The Prius pack I have
      seems to look at the voltage of 2 modules at a time. The voltage
      sampling electronics is being developed. First for 13 batteries for
      the Force, then for a higher number of cells.