320Re: [force_ev] contactor

  • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
    Jul 8, 2001
      On 22 Jun 2001, at 13:51, Nicholas Pasquale wrote:

      > ... no contactor in sight.
      >
      > The fans in the motor compartment came on as soon as the pack was
      > connected, even with no key in the ignition. I suppose for some reason or
      > another the contactor is missing.

      There is a contactor inside the controller itself, if it's an AC-300,
      320, or 325. However, the fact that the fans come on with the key off is
      suspicious.

      On my 1991 Force the motor fan (a retrofit, very different from the later
      fan) is powered directly from the "ignition" switch. I don't know how
      the motor fan is connected on later cars.

      The cars with 320 and 325 controllers also used 3 fans on the controller
      heatsink. These may be powered by the controller itself and should only
      come on when the main power contacts on the DB25 control connector are
      closed.

      I would check the Solectria-supplied "ignition box" for a stuck relay.
      This probably connects to the controller's DB25 connector (under an
      access panel) with a cable perhaps 10mm in diameter. In my car, the
      ignition box is a black plastic minibox tie-wrapped to the steering
      column under the dash, but probably later cars have it somewhere else.

      David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
      1991 Solectria Force 144vac
      1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
      1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
      1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
      1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
      Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
      thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic