3119Understanding Monlog Data for Brusa NLG4 (warning, long post)

  • larsthelean
    Aug 31, 2007
      I have been trying to decipher the rather crytic text displayed on
      the Monlog screen. Below is a rough snapshot of the text. Note this
      is coming from a car with a 156V lead acid pack.

      COMBI - monitor program on COM 1: Version 2.44, Brusa Elektronik Co,
      1997

      Status NLG4:0 Um_pk[V]:330.00 Tpstg[C]47.53 power[%]100.00
      Imains[Amp]:15.100 Um_eff[V]:246.00 Tbat1[C]31.10 Pprim[W]3680
      Ibatt[Amp]:18.802 Ubatt[V]:178.00 Tbat2[C]31.5 F_out[Hz]:50000
      Tbatt[C]31.50 Psec[W]3348
      Section:1 Sect1 Sect2 Sect3 Sect4 Sum1-5 total Calc E
      time [min] 38.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 38.1 357913.9 0.0
      charge[ah] 12.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 12.0 35194.5 -1.3
      energy[wh] 2338 0 0 0 2338 6944521 0
      UBmin[V] 151.57 499.99 499.99 499.99 151.57 1.80
      UBmax[V] 178.28 0 0 0 178.28 251.36
      TBmin[C] 31.54 100.00 100.00 100.00 31.54 -25
      TBmax[C] 32.12 -100.00 -100.00 -100.00 32.12 51.61

      I'll try to explain the fields that I think I understand, and then
      ask if anyone can help with the remainder.

      All of the fields with [C] also have the little degree sign, so they
      are obviously associated with temperature in celsius. All of the
      fields with [V] would be in volts, [ah] would be amp-hours, [min] is
      minutes, [%] is percentage.

      Status NLG4: 0 should give the charger's current status, with 0 being
      in good health and a different number means something is wrong, per
      the table that pops up if you press F1.

      Imains[Amp] has the number vary slightly while the charger is
      operating, and I believe it is the amount of amps that the charger is
      drawing from the house.

      Ibatt[Amp] also varies slightly while charging, and I am guessing it
      is the amount of amps that the charger is supplying to the
      batteries. Since my snapshot shows that the Imains number is smaller
      than the Ibatt number. Since the charger is getting 240V from the
      house, the 15.1A * 246V = 3715W coming in. The batteries are getting
      18.802A * 178V = 3347W with the difference being lost from heat or
      whatever.

      Um-pk[V] is a mystery to me.
      Umeff[V] I think is the voltage coming in from the house.
      Ubatt[V] I think is the voltage feeding into the batteries.
      Tpstg[C] is a mystery to me.
      Tbat1[C] I think is the temperature in battery box #1 (whichever that
      is)
      Tbat2[C] I think is the temperature in battery box #2
      Tbatt[C] I think is the highest temperature measured, which is the
      temperature used to compensate the charging cycle somehow.
      power[%] is a mystery to me, although it could just mean "full power"
      Pprim[W] I think is the power (in Watts) that is being supplied to
      the charger from the house.
      F_out[Hz] fluctuates during charging, and I think is the frequency of
      the DC voltage going into the batteries. As a layman, I thought only
      AC had a frequency (like 60Hz) and DC was flat...
      Psec[W] I think is the power (in Watts) that is being supplied to the
      batteries.

      time[min] has its value accumulate during charging, and is likely the
      time spent charging. Only section 1 on my screen seems active, with
      sections 2,3,4 & 5 unused. I wonder if this is true for other people.

      charge[ah] also accumulates during charging, and counts the Amp-Hours
      charged back into the batteries.

      energy[wh] also accumulates during charging, and counts the Watt-
      Hours charged back into the batteries.

      UBmin[V] this value stays the same through charging, I think it is
      the voltage of the batteries when the charger first began its charge
      cycle.

      UBmax[V] this value has been slowly creeping up during the charge
      cycle. Perhaps this is the batteries current voltage.

      TBmin[C] this value seems to creep down during the charge cycle
      (which is occurring late in the evening). So, this may be the lowest
      temperature observed during the charge cycle. This is mysterious
      since it is higher than the Tbat values!

      TBmax[C] this value has stayed constant through the charging cycle,
      probably because the temperature outside has been dropping. So, this
      may be the highest temperature observed during the charge cycle.

      the Calc E values are a complete mystery to me.

      So, these are my thoughts on the Monlog data. If anyone can provide
      any insight, confirmations, or corrections I would very much
      appreciate it!!!

      Thanks in advance,

      Todd Martin
      1997 Solectria