2590Re: 97 Force Heater Problem

  • Dave C.
    Apr 4, 2007
      I'd be interested to know the specs on the heater element Solectria
      used on its eary Force conversions. Mine (1991) was wired directly
      to the same circuit as the turn signals and whenever switched on
      blows the fuse. I have disconnected it for now until I figure our
      whether I need to pull out the element. What is the element? What is
      the normal resistance across it? If I need to replace it, where do I
      find one?

      Dave C.
      Las Vegas, NV
      "EV1"

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      > I would like to know if you figured it out?
      >
      > I've been off line for a month. My heater is also somewhat
      > intermittent and I'm about 80% sure it is the relay between the red
      > switch and the element. When it works I can hear the relay click.
      When
      > I don't hear it click it doesn't work. Heater relay makes about the
      > same sound as the regen brake light relay in my vehicle. Mine seems
      > always work when first used but if you turn it off you have a 50/50
      > chance it isn't going to respond until after it has sat for a hour
      or
      > so. I've learned to live with it for now. Car doesn't have factory
      > preheat feature.
      >
      > Unfortunately, depending upon how you think about it, I haven't been
      > able to duplicate the failure while checking voltage and resistance.
      >

      > Mike
      > 97
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Conn" <ev_in_la@>
      wrote:

      > > My heater works intermittently. Has anybody sucessfully fixed
      this
      > > problem? I saw a few posts in the archives, but no actual
      solution.
      > > It is not the red switch. That switch is sending 12v out when
      closed.
      > > The striped orange wire goes to a relay after leaving the switch
      and
      > > then from the relay off in several directions. One or two of
      them go
      > > to the pre-heat controller (which seems dead), which I
      disconnected
      > > from the back of the pre-heat controller. Disconnecting these
      wires
      > > had no effect on the heater. Where are the heater coils? It
      would be
      > > nice to test them to see if they are actually getting voltage.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Michael.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic