2282Re: What to look for when buying a used Solectria?

    Dec 5, 2006
      Doug,
      I hope this helps.
      Search using the words regen...regeneration...noise etc in the forum
      search block and you'll get a lot of info.

      In summary most of the cars make a noise under heavy regenertion
      braking with a full or near full battery pack. I don't have the
      scientific explanation for it but basicially there is no place for the
      controller to put the power being generated because the batteries are
      fully charged. Something has to give. The result is a lot of noise
      from the drive train and controller. But if you aren't using regen the
      car will be quiet in the same condition and normal regen sounds pretty
      much like acceleration sounds of at equal power setting. Maybe a bit
      more whine but not a shudder and squeal.

      Owners with the ability to monitor individual battery voltage see
      spikes or overvoltage conditions. Someone at Azure can probably tell
      you more. The answer I got was this is common coming right off the
      charger and just avoid heavy regen for the first few AHs. This is the
      kind of thing Toyota or GM wouldn't have gone into production knowing
      about (I hope).

      IMO Your gearbox parts problem sounds more mechanicial than
      electricial. Solectria recommended a 6000 mile break in period on the
      gearbox and then a fluid change and 12000 after that. The gearbox has
      automatic tranmission (Dextron III) fluid in it. This is a normal use
      in many manual gearboxes. In a unit that is operating correctly you
      will be hard pressed to tell old fluid from new even after many miles.
      My car had 13000 miles on it when I bought it and I immediately
      changed it as I didn't think it looked "new". I actually changed it
      again 100 miles or so later to look for any indication of wear. My
      guess is they missed the 6000 mile change. A quart of fluid is cheap
      insurance. I will change it again one of these days. Also it is much
      easier to fill the transmission by taking out the top vent fitting
      than it is to remove the filler plug which is well hidden when
      installed in the vehicle.

      Service manual says that you need to check the bearings at 50,000
      miles and to contact Solectria for this service. I believe that there
      have been some problem well before reaching this mileage. IMO the
      amount of initial torque available at a standing start means that
      depending upon how the car is driven some drivers could put a lot of
      wear on the transmission and others who drive with a light foot
      wouldn't; so results could vary greatly.

      I wish you well with the repair.
      Mike

      Mike--- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Jackson" <adj3@...> wrote:

      > Tell me more about "regen squel". Where is there information?
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > Any history you can get from the current owner would be good. Such as
      > > service and any know problems. How did they drive it? Fluid changes,
      > > battery terminal tightening etc.
      > >

      > > Finally read about regen squeal as this will sound like a terrible
      > > bearing noise if you haven't heard it before.
      > >
      > > Mike
      > > 97 Pba

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic