2269What to look for when buying a used Solectria?

  • mmeeddiicc
    Dec 2, 2006
      I am planning on buying a 97 next week. I'd be interested to hear
      peoples thoughts on the cars and on what I should look at when I
      examine the car. Specific questions

      1. Charger - What's the best way to evaluate this? I figured I could
      take a volt meter and test the voltage across it during charging.

      2. Health of the Battery Pack - I figured a test drive over 5-10miles
      would be reasonable. If it's cold I may have problems. Any thoughts?

      3. Bearings - I understand that these need replacement every 25-50k.
      What's the best way to evaluate these? Have most owners performed
      these replacements, or do they others (?who) do this. How much is
      this repair?

      4. Seal between motor and gear box - The picture I received made me
      suspicious that there may be a leak here. The owner says that he
      thinks it is a spill. Has this been a problem with these cars? I
      suspect as long as the fluid levels in the gear box were maintained
      there would be little damage.

      5. Controller - I suspect a test drive will tell me everything I need
      to know.

      6. Is there any concern about rust in the motor?

      7. Owners manual - I don't think I get one with the car has someone
      put these on the internet?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic