218Pb-acid Battery Charging

  • Tracy, Matt
    Apr 2 12:52 PM
      I am replacing a dozen, 12v, 125 amp-hour lead-acid batteries after some
      500+ charging cycles, but less than two years after purchasing them. I
      would appreciate any wisdom / experience with optimal recharging.

      With this set of batteries, I drove 15 miles to work (using around 15-18
      amp-hours), recharged, and 9 hours later drove 15 miles home, and recharged.
      I read that Pb-acid batteries should be kept charged, and not left in a
      discharged state, to prevent sulfating (or whatever the chemical degradation
      process is called). This worked well, but would I be better off charging
      only once a day (in the evening, only 9-10 hours after initial discharge,
      vs. in the morning at work - on the company's meter - 14-15 hours after
      initial discharge), and cutting the number of charging cycles in half, and
      not worrying about the batteries sitting partially discharged for several
      hours each day? This would also push the depth-of-discharge twice as far,
      which I read also cuts down on the number of recharging cycles.

      FYI, I am using a Zivan NG-3 charger.

      Thanks for your help.

      Matt Tracy
      1992 Solectria Force, 144v