1938Re: battery chargers and dc dc converters

  • Mike Phillips
    Apr 10, 2006
      Tha bad news about the Solectria DC-DC converters is that it puts out
      only 12 volts. So your headlights will be very dim. You need one that
      puts out around 13.8v.

      Mike

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@... wrote:

      > Jeremy:
      >
      > I own a Solectria Force which I bought and repaired. I, myself,
      have not done a conversion, but as an electrical engineer, have some
      ideas on the process.

      > 1.
      > For my lights, horn, radio etc is it advisable to
      > a) use a dc-dc converter, possibly topping up a battery. (Most use
      DC-DC converters)
      > b) use a battery, no converter. (Works well, but adds weight and
      another charger)
      > c) use a battery in parallel with one of the main propulsion
      > batteries. (NO! This will adversly affect battery string equalization)
      >
      > 2.
      > For charging the main propulsion batteries does anyone have
      > recommendations for chargers? My storage is either Li ion or NiMh.
      > Is a homebrew charger a bad idea?
      > My car uses a Zivan NG3. It runs and 240 volts, is configured to
      charge my 12 gel cells.
      > It works well. Unless you a talented in kilowatt switching power
      supply design AND embedded micro processors. DO NOT use a home brew
      charger. Battery life is greatly affected by charging and
      discharging. Flooded lead acid batteries are the most forgiving, but
      the exotic batteries, starting with gel cells require better charging
      systems.

      > I have been offered:
      > $350 for a Solectria DC750 dc-dc converter (200-400VDC to 12VDC)
      > (A good price if it works. Check the web suppliers like
      electroautomotive for comparisons)
      > $200 for Zivan NG3 F7YBSO 288VDC charger (made for lead acid, 9A
      > 288V max) A good price if it works. Check what type and voltage
      batteries it is programmed for. Is is 120V or 240 Volt? I am looking
      to buy a 120 volt and get it reprogrammed for my car. Let me know, if
      you do not plan to buy it. I might.