1933battery chargers and dc dc converters

  • Jeremy Rutman
    Apr 5, 2006
      I am planning an EV conversion now and have some questions:

      1.
      For my lights, horn, radio etc is it advisable to
      a) use a dc-dc converter, possibly topping up a battery
      b) use a battery, no converter
      c) use a battery in parallel with one of the main propulsion
      batteries

      2.
      For charging the main propulsion batteries does anyone have
      recommendations for chargers? My storage is either Li ion or NiMh.
      Is a homebrew charger a bad idea?

      I have been offered:
      $350 for a Solectria DC750 dc-dc converter (200-400VDC to 12VDC)
      $200 for Zivan NG3 F7YBSO 288VDC charger (made for lead acid, 9A
      288V max)

      Good prices? Bad?
      Thanks
      Jeremy