1880Re: [solectria_ev] Another NLG4 Bites the Dust?

  • Stephen Taylor
    Feb 4, 2006
      Tom,

      Sorry, but Yahoo didn't deliver your message to me until this morning. Funny I got the talk about solder, but not this one.

      Anyway I'm not a good judge, but I don't see any really bad spots on the board with the Blue and Red capacitors. I do see some very very small amounts of brown discoloration around several. I also see one that looks like it has an oil stain around it, it is one of the taller red ones near the very center of the charger. Also there is some white stuff that looks like glue around it, but I'm assuming that is normal. The main discolorations are around the big transformers above that board and especially the little white object that is soldered roughly between the two fuses. There is alot of brown around those. Haven't seen any trace of smoke.

      I had a friend suggest that I try running the charger outside of the box and see if I could locate the smoking area that way. I could do that, but I wonder if I might damage the charger further by running it when there is obviously a problem somewhere.

      Stephen Taylor

      Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:
      Stephen,

      Take a flashlight and get a good look at the circuit board kind of in
      the middle of the unit that has all the red and blue capacitors on it --
      It's mounted close to another board and may be hard to see the bottom
      surface. See if you can spot any black/brown discoloration around any
      of the places where those capacitors are soldered to it. I'm working on
      a unit now that has had a failure that burned out the circuit board on
      two of these capacitors, and I'd be interested to see if yours had a
      similar failure. You may also see whitish smoke deposits somewhere in
      there that may indicate the source of the failure.

      The good news is, the failure seems to be related to bad solder joints
      and may be repairable.

      -Tom

      Stephen Taylor wrote:

      >Well I think my NLG4 charger for my NiCD car just died. Was charging the car this morning. Left the house for an hour or so about a half hour or so before the bulk charge would have ended and everything seemed fine. Came back and there was a distinct smell in the garage, not unlike new carpeting maybe even overheated carpeting. I used my nose and found the smell located around the charger. I know the smell that the NiCD batteries make as they are charging and this was distinctly different and stronger.
      >
      > Got the monitoring program going and everything checked out. The charger had finished bulk charge and appeared to be happily going thru the overcharge. The status was zero (NO PROBLEMS) and the voltages seemed to be about right. I allowed the charger to finish the overcharge which took another hour and a half. Still the monitoring gave no indication of problems.
      >
      > After charging, I unhooked the charger and opened it up. The first thing to greet me was a small amount of smoke that must have been trapped inside the closed container. Looking at the components nothing is terribly burned up and my nose isn't accurate enough to tell where the problem is. All the fuses test good. If I had to guess it is coming from one or both of the two big transformers (? I don't know electronic names) that are connected directly to the heat sink.
      >
      > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      >
      > Stephen Taylor

      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

      Automotive car part Automotive fuel cell Automotive fuel tank Automotive car cover Electric car Alternative fuels