1523Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Who has an NiMH Force?

  • Adam Kuehn
    Nov 1, 2005
      While looking into acquiring a NIMH force, I did some pretty good
      research on the batteries. I decided that there was no way I could
      safely (for the batteries) operate a NIMH vehicle in North Carolina.
      It is simply impossible to keep the cells cool enough during charging
      and under load during the summers here. Personally, I'm not sure
      even a liquid system would be enough. I'm not sure where you are,
      exactly, but if it regularly hits the mid-to-high-90s there, I would
      seriously consider some other battery chemistry. I certainly
      wouldn't use passive cooling during the summer pretty much anywhere
      south of Canada.

      Just my two cents,

      -Adam Kuehn

      >My Toyota made RAV4 EV with NiMH batteries uses fans continuously
      >during charging to cool the batteries and also turns on while
      >driving if any of the temperature sensors reach 100F. Many of the
      >RAV4 EV owners don't believe even that is enough. For instance if
      >the car isn't charging and it isn't running and the batteries are
      >above 100F the fans don't run, but the batteries sit there at too
      >high a temperature.
      >So it would appear with NiMH more cooling is best.
      >Stephen Taylor
      >theoldcars@... wrote:
      >Having passive cooling while driving would be good but I don't believe it
      >would be enough by itself to always keep them from over heating
      >while driving.
      >A liquid cooling system would be more efficient.
      >Don Blazer
      >In a message dated 10/31/2005 9:01:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      >nluneau@... writes:
      >Hi Jim,
      >I was thinking that passive cooling while driving, using directed air,
      >would save some of the energy required to cool the Ovonics. I was also
      >under the impression that the critical time to have adequate cooling was
      >during the charging cycle.
      >What do you think?
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic