1521Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Who has an NiMH Force?

  • Stephen Taylor
    Nov 1, 2005
      My Toyota made RAV4 EV with NiMH batteries uses fans continuously during charging to cool the batteries and also turns on while driving if any of the temperature sensors reach 100F. Many of the RAV4 EV owners don't believe even that is enough. For instance if the car isn't charging and it isn't running and the batteries are above 100F the fans don't run, but the batteries sit there at too high a temperature.

      So it would appear with NiMH more cooling is best.

      Stephen Taylor

      theoldcars@... wrote:

      Having passive cooling while driving would be good but I don't believe it
      would be enough by itself to always keep them from over heating while driving.

      A liquid cooling system would be more efficient.

      Don Blazer

      In a message dated 10/31/2005 9:01:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      nluneau@... writes:

      Hi Jim,

      I was thinking that passive cooling while driving, using directed air,
      would save some of the energy required to cool the Ovonics. I was also
      under the impression that the critical time to have adequate cooling was
      during the charging cycle.

      What do you think?

      Noel

      Automotive car part Automotive fuel cell Automotive fuel tank Automotive car cover Electric car Alternative fuels