1105Re: Drive System Problems

  • sparrow262
    Jan 7, 2005
      I have had a medium pitch rrr-rrr sound in my drive motor for well
      over a year. It makes the noise when driving at low speeds (below
      35) and when regening. It is not dependent on the state of charge in
      that it does it when I first drive out and it does it when I drive
      back home. The only time the sound goes away is when the speed gets
      over 35 or so. I can sometimes get rid of it too by backing off the
      acceleration for a bit and then reaccelerating the car.

      Today after reading some of these comments I shut the regen off
      entirely. I have always had the regen on and rarely if ever shut it
      off. During my 12 mile drive with regen switched off, the car didn't
      make the noise once. I'm wondering if the below suggestion about
      wearing the bearing might apply here with the caveat that only regen
      has the torque to push the bearings hard enough in the wrong
      direction to start the noise.

      Stephen Taylor
      1999 Force (22,600 miles problem started at 16,000 miles)

      --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mike Chancey <evtinker@e...> wrote:
      > I have been kicking this around a while and I have some thoughts.
      I know
      > this sounds a bit strange, but see if this makes any sense.
      >
      > The motor speed sensor reads a sensor wheel mounted on the end of
      the motor
      > shaft. The clearance between the sensor and the wheel is
      critical. Too
      > close and they make contact and are damaged, too far and the signal
      from
      > the sensor may become too weak to properly feed the controller. On
      the
      > other end of the motor shaft is a helical gear driving into the
      > gearbox. Is it possible that that gear has developed sufficient
      side
      > thrust to wear the motor bearings and allow the motor shaft to move
      > slightly back and forth? Under low loads or regen, the shaft would
      remain
      > in the normal position, but under heavy load, the shaft would move
      the
      > sensor disc away from the sensor and cause an intermittent signal
      to the
      > controller.
      >
      > If this does seem like a possibility, then a possible way of
      testing it
      > would be to find a large clear area like a closed mall parking lot,
      and see
      > if you get the same kind of shudder while accelerating hard in
      reverse. In
      > reverse the helical gear action would be pulling the motor shaft
      the other
      > way, say closer to the sensor not further from it. I am not sure
      you could
      > generate the same loads in reverse though, as I suspect the
      controller
      > output is limited in reverse to about the same as the economy
      setting.

      > Is this a particularly high mileage Force? Has anyone else had any
      kind of
      > motor bearing problems?
      >
      > I had a 1995 Force that I sold in 2003 to a former EV1 owner in
      > California. His name was Chris Reeves. Is this by any chance the
      same
      > car? If so that one got new batteries, a new motor speed sensor,
      and the
      > sensor wheel in March/April 2003. It had a problem with jerkiness
      at take
      > off, so I cleaned the pot box and replaced the motor sensor. That
      seemed
      > to cure the problem.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >

      > Mike Chancey,