1091Re: [force_ev] Drive System Problems

  • Tom Hudson
    Jan 4, 2005
      The pot box is on the firewall inside the engine compartment, if you're
      looking at the firewall from the front of the car it will be on the
      extreme upper right. There is a black box with a couple of silver
      return springs on it and a cable running down. The easiest way to find
      it is to have someone sit in the driver's seat and press and release the
      accelerator pedal. You'll see the potbox shaft move.

      The problem definitely sounds like a potbox issue. What happens is, as
      you drive the vehicle for several years, a certain area on the
      potentiometer in the potbox gets more wear than other areas.
      Eventually, it starts to fail, and the result is a "wobbling" in power
      at a certain position on the accelerator pedal. It happened on my '95
      E-10, and now it's happening on my '97 Force. Basically, you need to
      replace the potentiometer in the potbox -- Solectria might still be
      willing to do this (I bought a new box from them for the E-10). The
      trick is, you need to have it adjusted right so that the pedal position
      is matched to the resistance coming out of the pot.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic