      From: Mike Chancey [mailto:evtinker@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:26 AM
      To: force_ev@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [force_ev] Drive System Problems

      I have been kicking this around a while and I have some thoughts. I know
      this sounds a bit strange, but see if this makes any sense.

      The motor speed sensor reads a sensor wheel mounted on the end of the motor
      shaft. The clearance between the sensor and the wheel is critical. Too
      close and they make contact and are damaged, too far and the signal from
      the sensor may become too weak to properly feed the controller. On the
      other end of the motor shaft is a helical gear driving into the
      gearbox. Is it possible that that gear has developed sufficient side
      thrust to wear the motor bearings and allow the motor shaft to move
      slightly back and forth? Under low loads or regen, the shaft would remain
      in the normal position, but under heavy load, the shaft would move the
      sensor disc away from the sensor and cause an intermittent signal to the

      If this does seem like a possibility, then a possible way of testing it
      would be to find a large clear area like a closed mall parking lot, and see
      if you get the same kind of shudder while accelerating hard in reverse. In
      reverse the helical gear action would be pulling the motor shaft the other
      way, say closer to the sensor not further from it. I am not sure you could
      generate the same loads in reverse though, as I suspect the controller
      output is limited in reverse to about the same as the economy setting.

      Is this a particularly high mileage Force? Has anyone else had any kind of
      motor bearing problems?

      I had a 1995 Force that I sold in 2003 to a former EV1 owner in
      California. His name was Chris Reeves. Is this by any chance the same
      car? If so that one got new batteries, a new motor speed sensor, and the
      sensor wheel in March/April 2003. It had a problem with jerkiness at take
      off, so I cleaned the pot box and replaced the motor sensor. That seemed
      to cure the problem.

      Mike Chancey,
      '88 Civic EV
      '95 Solectria Force