Re: [solarisx86] Re: Solaris 10 and pcmcia

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 12:12 AM
      In message <cc0c1a+cv46@...>, palowoda writes:
      >I doubt that cardbus is becoming lagacy with respect to solaris,
      >heck it needs to be implemented. The most popular interface
      >wireless is a big demand for cardbus. It be great if there

      Do any of the AMD64 laptop vendors not bundle wireless onboard
      or connected to the miniPCI?

      I don't imagine that Sun's mythical mobile Solaris AMD64 workstation
      will include any Cardbus options, but perhaps I'm naive.

    • rotordyn
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1 7:19 AM
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...> wrote:

        > Do any of the AMD64 laptop vendors not bundle wireless onboard
        > or connected to the miniPCI?

        One problem with that is exhibited where I work: Even if
        your laptop has wireless, you must use the officially sanctioned
        wireless card, which of course is PCMCIA/Cardbus.

        (It's bad enough having an inch of the card sticking out of
        the machine, I can't imagine having a USB or firewire wireless
        adapter hanging off like a tail. :-)

        tim
      • Geoff Lane
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1 10:02 AM
          On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 06:47:06AM -0000, palowoda wrote:
          > I doubt that cardbus is becoming lagacy with respect to solaris,
          > heck it needs to be implemented. The most popular interface
          > wireless is a big demand for cardbus. It be great if there
          > was a cardbus support for the IEEE 1394 cards for laptops these
          > days. However I think that USB 2.0 is giving 1394 a run for
          > the money.

          I'm typing this on an almost new Toshiba laptop on which x86 Solaris works
          fine _except_ for the builtin wifi card (it's not Intels WinWiFi, it's a
          real card but mounted on the motherboard.)

          At work I have a much older Toshiba laptop on which x86 Solaris works
          fine _except_ for cardbus support.

          The result is I run Redhat8 on one and fedora FC2 on the other because they
          both recognise and support all the hardware in the two laptops.

          I want to run Solaris because it's what I know and like. Sun says "The
          Network Is The Computer" - this doesn't sound so good when it's the network
          support that is the huge black hole in x86 Solaris.

          If paying Donald Becker and David Hinds huge consultancy fees is what is
          necessary why not do it?

          --
          Geoff Lane
          If compulsory identity cards are introduced, can I at
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1 5:45 PM
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Lane <zzassgl@b...> wrote:
            > On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 06:47:06AM -0000, palowoda wrote:
            > > I doubt that cardbus is becoming lagacy with respect to solaris,
            > > heck it needs to be implemented. The most popular interface
            > > wireless is a big demand for cardbus. It be great if there
            > > was a cardbus support for the IEEE 1394 cards for laptops these
            > > days. However I think that USB 2.0 is giving 1394 a run for
            > > the money.
            >
            > I'm typing this on an almost new Toshiba laptop on which x86 Solaris
            works
            > fine _except_ for the builtin wifi card (it's not Intels WinWiFi, it's a
            > real card but mounted on the motherboard.)
            >
            > At work I have a much older Toshiba laptop on which x86 Solaris works
            > fine _except_ for cardbus support.
            >
            > The result is I run Redhat8 on one and fedora FC2 on the other
            because they
            > both recognise and support all the hardware in the two laptops.
            >
            > I want to run Solaris because it's what I know and like. Sun says "The
            > Network Is The Computer" - this doesn't sound so good when it's the
            network
            > support that is the huge black hole in x86 Solaris.
            >
            > If paying Donald Becker and David Hinds huge consultancy fees is what is
            > necessary why not do it?

            Becker cannot be tainted with Solaris. If he did Sun would be
            the next one to sue Linux companines over copyrights. It's
            better to have Sun do it's own cardbus interface for Solaris
            and not deal with the RMS/Becker problem.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
              In message <cc16hk+td43@...>, rotordyn writes:
              >One problem with that is exhibited where I work: Even if
              >your laptop has wireless, you must use the officially sanctioned
              >wireless card, which of course is PCMCIA/Cardbus.

              Not insurmountable.

              It is Sales and Marketings' job to work the Dilbert bureaucracies to
              get Sun systems on customers' pre-approved lists.

              I think for the .GOV/.MIL world its Clark Masters' job to meet the
              requirements and wish lists so that Sun systems can be allowed to be
              sold for those networks.

              BTW Clark's team had a notable Solaris V20z system win last week.
              <URL:http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3394341>

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                In message <20040701170257.GA2785@...>, Geoff Lane writes:
                >I want to run Solaris because it's what I know and like. Sun says "The
                >Network Is The Computer" - this doesn't sound so good when it's the network
                >support that is the huge black hole in x86 Solaris.

                That's very true, but Worse is that Sun says that the "W" stands for
                Workstation, but it is the only systems company of significance which
                only sells the stationary, not the mobile kind.

                <URL:http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-5294914.html>

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                  In message <20040816205620Z27704-455+696@...>, John D Groenveld w
                  rites:
                  ><URL:http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3394341>

                  Whoops...forgot to quote these important bits from Clint Boulton about
                  the apparent Solaris office productivity and developer needs of INEEL
                  Solaris V20z cluster server users and administrators:

                  | This includes Sun's Solaris 9 operating system, Java Enterprise System
                  | and Java development software, Grid Engine Enterprise Edition and
                  | StarOffice 7.0 office. Lab technicians will also receive on-site
                  | training and support from Sun's Services division.

                  If Sun offered mobile workstation systems, they would have even bigger
                  nuclear wins over IBM and HPQ.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                    --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...> wrote:
                    > In message <20040701170257.GA2785@b...>, Geoff Lane writes:
                    > >I want to run Solaris because it's what I know and like. Sun says "The
                    > >Network Is The Computer" - this doesn't sound so good when it's the
                    network
                    > >support that is the huge black hole in x86 Solaris.
                    >
                    > That's very true, but Worse is that Sun says that the "W" stands for
                    > Workstation, but it is the only systems company of significance which
                    > only sells the stationary, not the mobile kind.

                    This is because Tadpole Computers tells Sun what types of
                    software are allowable on portable based systems. True you
                    can run Solaris x86 on their portable but Tadpole but it's
                    not in their best interest as they wish you change your
                    development platform to Linux JDS.

                    ---Bob
                  • Bruce Riddle
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                      palowoda wrote:
                      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>In message <20040701170257.GA2785@b...>, Geoff Lane writes:
                      >>
                      >>>I want to run Solaris because it's what I know and like. Sun says "The
                      >>>Network Is The Computer" - this doesn't sound so good when it's the
                      >>
                      > network
                      >
                      >>>support that is the huge black hole in x86 Solaris.
                      >>
                      >>That's very true, but Worse is that Sun says that the "W" stands for
                      >>Workstation, but it is the only systems company of significance which
                      >>only sells the stationary, not the mobile kind.
                      >>

                      > This is because Tadpole Computers tells Sun what types of
                      > software are allowable on portable based systems. True you
                      > can run Solaris x86 on their portable but Tadpole but it's
                      > not in their best interest as they wish you change your
                      > development platform to Linux JDS.

                      and the tadpole's are overpriced.....
                    • Phillip B Bruce
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004

                        > > This is because Tadpole Computers tells Sun what types of
                        > > software are allowable on portable based systems. True you
                        > > can run Solaris x86 on their portable but Tadpole but it's
                        > > not in their best interest as they wish you change your
                        > > development platform to Linux JDS.

                        The only reason I would even want to change to that overprice
                        bucket of bolts called Tadpole is so that I have binary
                        compatiblity with the Sparc and that because the tadpoles are
                        are sparc based systems. But if you have no plans to do that
                        paying $7k to $8k for a laptop is way too expensive. In
                        terms of spending $1500 to $3k for a laptop to do the same
                        thing. You may not be binary compatible but you 'll be able
                        to do much of what you want to do on that laptop without
                        breaking the bank. I can see given some to a couple of developers
                        who have to be mobile but not to to every users who don't have
                        that kind of responsibilty.

                        There some other laptop vendors that uses sparc processors in
                        their laptop that are just overprice as tadpole is.

                        Phillip
                      • Alan Coopersmith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                          Phillip B Bruce wrote:
                          > The only reason I would even want to change to that overprice
                          > bucket of bolts called Tadpole is so that I have binary
                          > compatiblity with the Sparc and that because the tadpoles are
                          > are sparc based systems. But if you have no plans to do that
                          > paying $7k to $8k for a laptop is way too expensive.

                          You don't seem to have heard about Tadpole's new lines, including
                          Opteron laptops running JDS and even portable SunRay terminals.
                          http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/

                          Even their SPARC laptop is advertised on their home page as starting
                          at $2995.

                          --
                          -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                            In message <41216873.5080507@...>, Phillip B Bruce writes:
                            >There some other laptop vendors that uses sparc processors in
                            >their laptop that are just overprice as tadpole is.

                            At Linux World New York, Mark Johnston, CEO of Tadpole, and Peder Ulander,
                            Sun's best dressed Linux backer, had a tea party to announce that
                            Sun Microsystems still didn't sell the mobile kind of workstation systems
                            that customers demand.

                            1. <URL:http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/dynamic/news/press/2004/78.html>
                            | "We've introduced Tadpole's TALIN notebook running the Java Desktop
                            | System to our top customers in higher education," said Marc Hamilton,
                            | director of technology for Global Education and Research for Sun
                            | Microsystems, Inc. "The dual power of the TALIN notebook running Java
                            | Desktop System delivers not only Linux platform workstation
                            | performance required by educational institutions, but it also does so
                            | cost effectively at a time when the education market is particularly
                            | faced with tightening budgets."

                            Marc Hamilton never did announce when the rest of us in the .EDU
                            sector could buy Talins via our Sun sales reps.

                            I wonder if that had anything to do with Sun customers expecting
                            the level of support you only get when the system has a Sun label
                            on it.

                            Anybody here going to Educause and can volunteer to attend Sun's
                            presentation and ask?