off topic: figures in pdf documents produced by staroffice

  • Marc Lobelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I found a surprising behaviour when printing documents including figures
      (screen dumps)

      If I print the documents from word, the figures are sharp, as they ought to be

      If, from word, I convert the document to PDF (using acrobat 4) then the
      figures are a little hazy, but still readable.

      If I print the document from Staroffice7 on Solaris 9, the figures are sharp

      If, from Staroffice, I convert the document to PDF the figures are unreadable:
      huge pixels (the definition is lower then on my 1280x1024 screen.

      Is that a known bug or is there a way to get useable PDF documents from
      Staroffice and then how ?

      Thanks

      Marc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        Quoting Marc Lobelle <ml@...>:

        [snip]
        > Is that a known bug or is there a way to get useable PDF documents from
        > Staroffice and then how ?

        Not a bug, a feature of JPEG compression.

        Have you tried, when exporting to PDF, to use different quality settings?
        If you use "optimize for printing", it should look much better (and be much
        bigger, but that's a compromise).

        A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!
      • Marc Lobelle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          > Quoting Marc Lobelle <ml@...>:
          >
          > [snip]
          > > Is that a known bug or is there a way to get useable PDF documents from
          > > Staroffice and then how ?
          >
          > Not a bug, a feature of JPEG compression.
          >
          > Have you tried, when exporting to PDF, to use different quality settings?
          > If you use "optimize for printing", it should look much better (and be much
          > bigger, but that's a compromise).

          Thanks, now the images are better but acrobat does not find the fonts...

          Marc

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
            Quoting Marc Lobelle <ml@...>:

            > Thanks, now the images are better but acrobat does not find the fonts...

            Not sure about that.
            I'm quite sure that when exporting to PDF, the fonts are included, I could check
            it recently: a StarOffice on Solaris document sent to me in .DOC didn't have the
            fonts, and was fine when resent in PDF. I was opening it on Windows, using Adobe
            Reader 6.01.

            A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!
          • Mariusz Zynel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
              Laurent Blume wrote:
              > Quoting Marc Lobelle <ml@...>:
              >

              >> Thanks, now the images are better but acrobat does not find the
              >> fonts...
              >

              > Not sure about that.

              What are the locales Marc? The old Acrobat 4 is sensitive to locales
              other than C.

              This what I usually put at the very begining of acrored script.

              LC_COLLATE=C
              LC_MESSAGES=C
              LC_NUMERIC=C
              LC_TIME=C
              export LC_COLLATE LC_MESSAGES LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME

              > I'm quite sure that when exporting to PDF, the fonts are included, I
              > could check it recently: a StarOffice on Solaris document sent to me
              > in .DOC didn't have the fonts, and was fine when resent in PDF. I was
              > opening it on Windows, using Adobe Reader 6.01.

              You can list all the fonts used in PDF. Those not marked as embedded
              must be available on the system in order to render glyphs properly.

              --
              .
              Mariusz Zynel University of Bialystok, Institute of Mathematics
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
                Thanks. I was using acorbat on a windows so the locales do not apply (although
                I'll try the trick on Solaris: there I can't print at all from acroread).

                I solved my immediate problem by converting all fonts to Helvetica.

                Marc
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
                  In message <200406011053.i51ArKgM018311@...>, Marc Lobelle w
                  rites:
                  >Thanks, now the images are better but acrobat does not find the fonts...

                  If anyone is going to SunNetwork this week and could ask MadHatters
                  Curtis Sasaki and Peder Ulander or their minions about PDF viewers for
                  JDS for Solaris for x86|AMD64 and post their response, that would
                  definitely be on-topic.

                  I see Henry Jia and Matthew Baier are scheduled to give JDS talks on
                  Thursday.

                  TIA,