Using Live Upgrade

  • Alan DuBoff
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 12:27 AM
      For those who are interested in using Live Upgrade, I wrote a document that
      has been placed on BigAdmin. Sorry for the delay, many folks had been asking
      what happened to this document and it was going through legal overview before
      being posted.

      Several people gave feedback, some was able to get in, some was not as legal
      had the doc tied up for several weeks.

      Hopefully it will give folks the encouragement to try Live Upgrade to solve
      the problem of dealing with multiple versions of Solaris, with the addition
      of Solaris Express.

      http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/using_lu.html

      --

      Alan DuBoff
      Software Orchestration, Inc.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 12:29 AM
        Alan DuBoff wrote:

        >For those who are interested in using Live Upgrade, I wrote a document that
        >has been placed on BigAdmin. Sorry for the delay, many folks had been asking
        >what happened to this document and it was going through legal overview before
        >being posted.
        >
        >Several people gave feedback, some was able to get in, some was not as legal
        >had the doc tied up for several weeks.
        >
        >Hopefully it will give folks the encouragement to try Live Upgrade to solve
        >the problem of dealing with multiple versions of Solaris, with the addition
        >of Solaris Express.
        >
        >http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/using_lu.html

        Thanks Alan, I wish it had been there when I first tried a live upgrade!

        Ian
      • Philip Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 12:56 AM
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Alan DuBoff <aland@s...> wrote:
          > For those who are interested in using Live Upgrade, I wrote a
          document that
          > has been placed on BigAdmin.
          > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/using_lu.html

          its a good start. but I'd like to see some additional sections in
          there, explaining the details of how you can use liveupgrade on a
          single disk, on an x86 system.

          That is to say, I'd like to see a little more technical detail on what
          "activation" does. stuff like that.

          Plus, your article mentions,

          "/, /var, /usr, and /opt are all needed for the Live Upgrade. "

          that is a bit confusing. it seems to imply that you need SEPARATE /,
          /var, /usr, and /opt partitions. But I'm guessing that's not what you
          really mean?
        • Alan DuBoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 1:40 AM
            On Thursday 01 April 2004 00:29, Ian Collins wrote:
            > Thanks Alan, I wish it had been there when I first tried a live upgrade!

            I wanted it to be there, but legal seems to insist on wrestling these things
            around for a few weeks in most cases.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 1:43 AM
              On Thursday 01 April 2004 00:56, Philip Brown wrote:
              > That is to say, I'd like to see a little more technical detail on what
              > "activation" does. stuff like that.

              You might want to look at docs.sun.com, it has some great technical info on
              Live Upgrade, for each version of Solaris released.

              > Plus, your article mentions,
              >
              > "/, /var, /usr, and /opt are all needed for the Live Upgrade. "
              >
              > that is a bit confusing. it seems to imply that you need SEPARATE /,
              > /var, /usr, and /opt partitions. But I'm guessing that's not what you
              > really mean?

              Hmmm, I'm not sure why that implies that to you. The doc uses a single slice
              for /, /var, /usr, and /opt, and doesn't try to imply anything other than
              such.

              The best way to learn about Live Upgrade is to use it, IMO.