SFWfirefox EOL

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2017
    • Bob Friesenhahn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2017
        On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, John D Groenveld jdg117@... [solarisx86] wrote:

        > <URL:https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.0.2esr/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/README.txt>
        >
        > Zaijian and xiexie; goodbye and thank you.

        Alas, FireFox 52.0.2esr does not pass basic sanity checks on my
        Solaris 10 system. The top menu and other icons at the top of the
        browser lock up (using www.yahoo.com as a test site) and not long
        after, there is a core dump.

        firefox-45.8.0esr seems to work better.

        Bob
        --
        Bob Friesenhahn
        bfriesen@..., http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2017
          In message <alpine.GSO.2.20.1704021032410.27192@...>, "Bob
          Friesenhahn bfriesen@... [solarisx86]" writes:
          >Alas, FireFox 52.0.2esr does not pass basic sanity checks on my
          >Solaris 10 system. The top menu and other icons at the top of the

          Possibly rushed out the door before being shown the door.

        • Bob Friesenhahn
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2017
            On Sun, 2 Apr 2017, John D Groenveld jdg117@... [solarisx86] wrote:

            > In message <alpine.GSO.2.20.1704021032410.27192@...>, "Bob
            > Friesenhahn bfriesen@... [solarisx86]" writes:
            >> Alas, FireFox 52.0.2esr does not pass basic sanity checks on my
            >> Solaris 10 system. The top menu and other icons at the top of the
            >
            > Possibly rushed out the door before being shown the door.

            Hopefully the door did not leave a dent in his behind.

            Oracle seems to be shutting many Solaris-related resources down, such
            as java-net and everything depending on it.

            We certainly appreciate the work which was done.

            On my OpenIndiana oi_151.1.9 system, I have also observed the top menu
            lockup problem with firefox-45.8.0esr but it took much longer to
            occur.

            Bob
            --
            Bob Friesenhahn
            bfriesen@..., http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
            GraphicsMagick Maintainer, http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
          • Alan Coopersmith
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2017
              On 04/ 2/17 09:56 AM, Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen@... [solarisx86]
              wrote:
              > Oracle seems to be shutting many Solaris-related resources down, such
              > as java-net and everything depending on it.

              The java.net shutdown isn't really about Solaris - we only had ~10 solaris
              projects there out of thousands of other projects, most of which were java
              focused.

              I've not seen a detailed reasoning for the shutdown, but it follows Google's
              shutdown of Google Code hosting, and Microsoft just joined the club announcing
              it is now shutting down it's CodePlex code hosting. I suspect all 3 companies
              determined that the cost & headaches of running a site where anyone can post
              code - and thus requiring staff to deal with user management, DMCA notices &
              copyright infringement claims, spam removal, etc. - were no longer worthwhile
              and that outsourcing the headaches to businesses who actually had plans to
              make money off such things, such as Github & Atlassian, was a better business
              plan than continuing to pour money into something that just returned goodwill
              and not income, especially when they couldn't reach the number of users/projects
              that make the powerful network effects on Github & Bitbucket that make them even
              more attractive to use.

              BTW, for those who did care about the Solaris code hosted at java.net, hopefully
              you've seen by now that the Userland consolidation sources have moved to
              https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/
              That now also includes the sources previously in the Desktop consolidation as
              well, which migrated into Userland over the past year.

              The IPS & X11 consolidations are in the process of migrating their code, and
              their new sites aren't yet available yet, but should be later in April.

              The various mailing lists are just being shutdown, since none had enough
              traffic in the past 4 years to make it worthwhile to move them - Oracle
              prefers to instead use the web forums at
              https://community.oracle.com/community/server_&_storage_systems/solaris

              The other informational pages (OpenStack, ZFS, Zones, etc.) will mostly just
              be redirected to appropriate pages on the Oracle Technology Network webpages.

              -alan-
            • Bob Friesenhahn
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2017
                On Sun, 2 Apr 2017, Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith@... [solarisx86] wrote:

                > The various mailing lists are just being shutdown, since none had enough
                > traffic in the past 4 years to make it worthwhile to move them - Oracle
                > prefers to instead use the web forums at
                > https://community.oracle.com/community/server_&_storage_systems/solaris

                These web forums are also moribund.

                Oracle destroyed the developer and user communities that it obtained
                via its purchase of Sun.

                Bob