Dual-boot with Linux and Solaris

  • Igor Korot
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2017
      Hi,
      I'm trying to do a dual-boot with Linux and Solaris.
      I installed Solaris 11.3 on the /dev/sda5, saved the partition ID (the number
      referenced in the "search..." command for the GRUB2) then install Linux
      (Gentoo) on /dev/sda2-/dev/sda4.
      I merged GRUB2 for Linux with "libzfs" support and I changed the grub
      configuration
      adding custom configuration for Solaris exactly as it appears on the Solaris
      grub and regenerated the grub configuration.
      Unfortunately trying to boot Solaris, I got an error that partition ID
      is not recognized.

      Is this number generated every time the system is installed?
      If not - how can I fix this?

      People reportedly have succeeded booting up Solaris from Linux GRUB2
      but that was from Ubuntu. Moreover, asking on Gentoo forum:
      https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061088-highlight-.html
      it looks like OpenZFS and ZFS are not compatible.

      Can someone please shed some light on this?

      Thank you.
    • Alex Smith (K4RNT)
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2017
        I haven't used Solaris 11.3 yet, but I've used OpenIndiana (an Illumos derivative) and from the chatter I've read, you should probably install Solaris last, and use Solaris' GRUB loader or loader, and chainload the Linux GRUB loader.

        HTH

        -Alex

        Sent with Mailtrack

        " 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG episode "The Drumhead"
        - Alex Smith
        - Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)

        On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Igor Korot ikorot01@... [solarisx86] <solarisx86@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            solarisx86-digest@yahoogroups. com
            solarisx86-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups.com

            https://info.yahoo.com/legal/ us/yahoo/utos/terms/

      • Igor Korot
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2017
          Hi, Alex,

          On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 11:53 PM, 'Alex Smith (K4RNT)' shadowhunter@... [solarisx86] <solarisx86@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I haven't used Solaris 11.3 yet, but I've used OpenIndiana (an Illumos derivative) and from the chatter I've read, you should probably install Solaris last, and use Solaris' GRUB loader or loader, and chainload the Linux GRUB loader.

          Trouble is my / "root partition" for Linux is located on ext4 FS  And  AFAIK Solaris does not support ext4 (yet).
          So, is chainloading can be done this way?

          If yes - what would be the configuration?

          Thank you.

[...]

        • ThB
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2017
            Hello,

            A few years ago I had the same problem. I solved it using UEFI Boot.
            Every operating system now uses the own grub. So instead of booting
            into grub I have to press one of the F-keys to get into uefi boot prompt
            where I select the os to boot. Another advantage is that I don't have to
            care when upgrading.

            I'm dual booting Linux Mint 17.3 and Solaris 11.3.

            Cheers
            Thomas

            On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 00:30:35 -0400

          • Paul Floyd
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2017

              On 26 Mar 2017, at 06:30, Igor Korot ikorot01@... [solarisx86] wrote:

              Hi, Alex,

              On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 11:53 PM, 'Alex Smith (K4RNT)' shadowhunter@... [solarisx86] <solarisx86@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

              I haven't used Solaris 11.3 yet, but I've used OpenIndiana (an Illumos derivative) and from the chatter I've read, you should probably install Solaris last, and use Solaris' GRUB loader or loader, and chainload the Linux GRUB loader.

              Trouble is my / "root partition" for Linux is located on ext4 FS  And  AFAIK Solaris does not support ext4 (yet).
              So, is chainloading can be done this way?

              If yes - what would be the configuration?

              Hi Igor

              Until fairly recently one of my workstations was multi-booting Solaris, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD on 2 hard drives (though FreeBSD was broken - now there are only Linux, Windows and FreeBSD and I have an SSD drive and 3 hard drives). Since FreeBSD on ZFS boot is similar enough to Solaris, I'll give details of both.

              Previously my active boot was Solaris grub. Most grubs will boot Windows fairly easily. To boot Linux I was using chain booting. Chain booting is generally simple and reliable in my experience, so long as you can get the OS to install its boot code in a BIOS partition.

              Currently my active boot is Linux grub. Again I have a straightforward Windows boot from this, and a chain boot of FreeBSD. For FreeBSD I have 2 GPT disks configured as a ZFS mirror, and the grub menu entry is simply

              set root='hd2'
              chainloader +1

              If you install to a BIOS partition, then the root mapping will be a bit different.

              So in summary, as long as you can get the OS to install its boot code to a BIOS partition, chain loading should be straightforward.

              A+
              Paul
            • wms121
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29, 2017
                I have had Solaris 10, Solaris 11.1 and the old OpenSolaris on USB installed partitions.

                Recommending Solaris 11.1 and above at this point in time.

                10 was always a problem...and am just now getting 11.1 to cooperate.

                OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana have their own issues, when you can get regular Solaris to at least exchange

                files with Linux and Windows you are doing pretty good.

                I mentioned earlier that to get SunStudio 12 working on Solaris 11.1 you need to be sure you are just
                using Java 7 JRE/JDK/SDK...removing java8 brought Studio back up after it disappeared during an
                upgrade.  Could never get Solaris 10 to upgrade (if that info is on his site, I couldn't locate it)..anyway,

                ..good luck out there peeps, these operating systems ARE worth the effort by the way.

                Just say to yourself "I AM USING REAL UNIX".

                W.W.