Re: [solarisx86] Oracle stopping SunRay development, etc?

  • Matthias Pfützner
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16 6:15 AM
      You (John D Groenveld) wrote:
      > It will be interesting if any of this moves towards the
      > Illumos ecosystem.
      > John
      > groenveld@...

      I do doubt that... That part has never been opensourced...

      Matthias
      --
      Matthias Pfützner | Tel.: +49 171 4735638 | Ein Mensch ist immer das
      Waldstrasse 6 | mailto:Matthias@... | Opfer seiner Wahrheiten.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 16 7:13 AM
        In message <20130716131558.GB140@...>, Matthias =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pf=FCtz
        ner?= writes:
        >I do doubt that... That part has never been opensourced...

        I expect Chuck Rozwat and company will update the Sun Ray
        extended support life matrix to satisfy the US taxman and various
        other members of Ed Zander's old rolodex of preferred low-volume,
        high-margin customers who rely on those bits and hardware, less
        they burn bridges to sell more Exa mainframes.

        Perhaps they're easier marks than I give them credit, but
        coming so quickly after the sticker shock of Java 1.6 to
        premium extended support, I foresee push back on Oracle's sales
        critters from even the fattest, ripest targets.

        I was thinking about in which projects the talent might
        invest their new found time.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17 8:17 AM
          In message <201307151310.r6FDAvK1018310@...>, John D Groenveld wr
          ites:
          >Yuck, I hate when the SJVN hack breaks news.

          Bridget Botelho piles on:
          <URL:http://searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget.com/news/2240188127/Oracle-ceases-development-of-VDI-Sun-Ray-clients-and-software>
          | In fact, a number of IT industry watchers weren't even familiar with
          | Oracle's VDI offering.
          |
          | "I've never met anyone who uses it," said Berger, who regularly
          | speaks with corporate clients about VDI. "I'm talking about Oracle
          | VDI more now that it's over."
          |
          | Berger has tried Oracle's VDI software and said it was "nothing
          | phenomenal." However, "the biggest problem with adoption was not
          | the product; it was the name Oracle that scared people away," he
          | said.

          More of that (malign) efficient execution for which Larry Ellison
          and company was famous?

          Who is Wim Coekaerts counterpart under Judith Sim?
          I suspect we'll see more news on this topic over the coming
          months and I want to make certain I ask the Google News Oracle
          the right questions.

          BTW here's Wim's business case for a RDBMS dependency
          IPS consolidation:
          <URL:https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/easily_install_oracle_rdbms_12cr1>