Re: [solarisx86] MEDIA: Oracle reveals secret recipe for free DIY storage cloud

  • Ian Collins
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2013
      John D Groenveld wrote:
      > ElReg hack, Simon Sharwood, on Oracle hacker, Suk Kim, and his
      > Solaris 11 proof of concept:
      > <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/01/oracle_home_storage_cloud/>

      Has anyone else tried this? I built a zone to give it a whirl and it
      looks promising.

      When I tried setting up the client on my kids devices, none of us could
      authenticate which is a bit of a bugger. On the server, only the admin
      user appears to work.

      --
      Ian.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16, 2013
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...> wrote:

        > On 05/11/13 03:28 AM, palowoda wrote:
        > > Really Oracle is still delivering a 32bit PHP module? I've compiled my own 64bit version and I would really like to understand why Sun/Oracle never delivered a 64 bit version of PHP. I must be missing a bug that the Sun/Oracle developers have seen that I should be running into.
        >
        > For the majority of the software in Solaris, it was shipped 32-bit simply
        > because we still supported 32-bit systems up until just before Solaris 11
        > shipped (even Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 had 32-bit x86 support), so we had
        > to maintain the 32-bit version, and adding a second 64-bit version was then
        > additional overhead.
        >
        > People who watch the commits on the Solaris open source trees may have
        > noticed work is in progress to convert more of those packages to 64-bit
        > now that we don't need to maintain a 32-bit version, and now that 64-bit
        > is so prevalent across the industry that most upstreams are already 64-bit
        > clean for the Linux or BSD ports.

        Well I guess that is a good explanation of the history. But it's not a good showing for Oracle to put an example that has such a bad limitation. Than again what is a good reason why Oracle would care about PHP to start with?

        ---Bob
      • David Comay
        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2013
          > Well I guess that is a good explanation of the history. But it's not a
          good showing
          > for Oracle to put an example that has such a bad limitation. Than again
          what is a
          > good reason why Oracle would care about PHP to start with

          One reason to compile it 64-bit would be for large file purposes but it's
          already compiled to be large-file aware.

          Obviously there could be some PHP applications where having a 64-bit
          address space is important but have you run into such limitations yourself
          in the field?

          In any case, if you wish to track this there's a RFE already filed on it:

          15446157 SUNBT6642320 64bit PHP

          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2013
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, David Comay <david.comay@...> wrote:

            > > Well I guess that is a good explanation of the history. But it's not a
            > good showing
            > > for Oracle to put an example that has such a bad limitation. Than again
            > what is a
            > > good reason why Oracle would care about PHP to start with
            >
            > One reason to compile it 64-bit would be for large file purposes but it's
            > already compiled to be large-file aware.
            >
            > Obviously there could be some PHP applications where having a 64-bit
            > address space is important but have you run into such limitations yourself
            > in the field?

            Yes clients uploading large video files for editing in wordpress.

            > In any case, if you wish to track this there's a RFE already filed on it:
            >
            > 15446157 SUNBT6642320 64bit PHP

            Good to know it's being looked at. I have built my own 64bit PHP look forward to checking out Oracles when it's ready.