MEDIA: Since You Asked... A Couple of Oracle Solaris Resources

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
      Yesterday's webcast for "by far the best Unix technology available
      in the market" [tm] Solaris and "it baaaallllloooooooows" [tm] hardware
      is now available on demand:
      <URL:https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/entry/since_you_asked_a_couple>

      On24.COM requires the Adobe Flash plug-in, but the EOL'd 11.2
      libflashplayer.so works with SFWfirefox 19.0:
      <URL:http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html>

      BTW Has anyone tested Java 7 update 15 against the ILOM?
      What's the ETA for it to be delivered via Chuck Rozwat and
      company's S11.1 repo?
    • Stuart Biggar
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
        On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:55 AM, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...<mailto:jdg117@...>>
        wrote:

        BTW Has anyone tested Java 7 update 15 against the ILOM?

        John,

        I can verify that the following work:

        Safari or Firefox 19, with JDK 7 update 15, OS X Mountain Lion
        Firefox 19, Java 7 update 15, Solaris 10U11, running in VirtualBox on OS X

        Both of the above on a MacBook Pro that can operate the remote console
        of an ILOM in either a X4150 (Solaris 11.1) or a X4270 (Windows 2008R2).

        Firefox 19, Java 7 update 15, Solaris 10 (SPARC) running on an ancient Sun
        280R SunRay server, displaying on a SunRay 1G (still have SPARCs as we
        have certain site-licensed software that does NOT run on non-SPARC Solaris).

        Stuart
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
          In message <823216AA177D7D44AB431E36B09FB63B13F6F72E@...>,
          Stuart Biggar writes:
          >I can verify that the following work:
          >
          >Safari or Firefox 19, with JDK 7 update 15, OS X Mountain Lion
          >Firefox 19, Java 7 update 15, Solaris 10U11, running in VirtualBox on OS X
          >
          >Both of the above on a MacBook Pro that can operate the remote console
          >of an ILOM in either a X4150 (Solaris 11.1) or a X4270 (Windows 2008R2).
          >
          >Firefox 19, Java 7 update 15, Solaris 10 (SPARC) running on an ancient Sun
          >280R SunRay server, displaying on a SunRay 1G (still have SPARCs as we
          >have certain site-licensed software that does NOT run on non-SPARC Solaris).

          Very good. ILOM is a selling point for John Fowler and company's
          systems.
          <URL:http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/x86/best-x86-platforms-solaris-wp-1907496.pdf>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

            > BTW Has anyone tested Java 7 update 15 against the ILOM?
            > What's the ETA for it to be delivered via Chuck Rozwat and
            > company's S11.1 repo?

            Just a heads up on 7 update 15.

            http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02/javas-latest-security-problems-new-flaw-identified-old-one-attacked/

            So you might want to be careful out in the wild with the java plugin.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2013
              In message <kgmc3g+3nos@...>, "palowoda" writes:
              >Just a heads up on 7 update 15.
              >
              >http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02/javas-latest-security-problems-new-fla
              >w-identified-old-one-attacked/
              >
              >So you might want to be careful out in the wild with the java plugin.

              Perhaps Java.COM's /usr/jdk/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so should be tracked
              by Oracle's Solaris third party vulnerability blog:
              <URL:https://blogs.oracle.com/sunsecurity/>

              Does anyone here have a subscription to Chuck Rozwat and
              company's OEL repo?
              Is Unbreakable Linux also second tier for Java.COM?

            • Alan Coopersmith
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2013
                On 02/28/13 05:56 AM, John D Groenveld wrote:
                > Perhaps Java.COM's /usr/jdk/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so should be tracked
                > by Oracle's Solaris third party vulnerability blog:
                > <URL:https://blogs.oracle.com/sunsecurity/>

                I'm sure you know this, but for anyone that it's not obvious to, Java.COM
                is just an Oracle-owned website, not a separate company, so it doesn't count
                as third party, and thus goes on the main Oracle security blog instead when
                fixes are delivered:
                https://blogs.oracle.com/security/

                --
                -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2013
                  In message <512F7B96.5070705@...>, Alan Coopersmith writes:
                  >I'm sure you know this, but for anyone that it's not obvious to, Java.COM
                  >is just an Oracle-owned website, not a separate company, so it doesn't count
                  >as third party, and thus goes on the main Oracle security blog instead when
                  >fixes are delivered:
                  > https://blogs.oracle.com/security/

                  It will be interesting to see if Oracle updates the blog before
                  Janet Napolitano and crew spews another presser begging the public
                  to uninstall and whether Chuck Rozwat and company serve a fix for
                  John Fowler and company's low-volume, high-margin Solaris niche
                  customers before Easter.

                  BTW is it still the plan to migrate OpenSolaris.ORG content and
                  communities to Java.NET before Easter?
                • Alan Coopersmith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2013
                    On 02/28/13 07:58 AM, John D Groenveld wrote:
                    > BTW is it still the plan to migrate OpenSolaris.ORG content and
                    > communities to Java.NET before Easter?

                    I dunno - when's Easter this year?

                    Certainly we're working on getting it done by the March 24 deadline
                    for the opensolaris.org shutdown, and have made some progress already:
                    http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/userland-discuss/2013-February/004632.html

                    Not everything is moving - some will just be allowed to drift away, available
                    for reference at archive.org, but since we're not actively developing the OS
                    in public anymore, things like developer references and the such aren't useful
                    to migrate & maintain going forward.

                    --
                    -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...