Re: New group user intro from a guy who's used UNIX since Day 1

  • thad_floryan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Jerry K wrote:
      > > On 02/ 1/13 10:27 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08:28AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > >> Hi All,
      > >>
      > >> I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
      > >>
      > >> My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300
      >
      > That is excellent.
      >
      > I was an ATT 3B2 admin back in the day.

      Hi Jerry,

      Those were "interesting" systems; I also had a 3B2/310 if I recall the
      model number correctly -- it's been awhile and I simply ran out of
      room to stockpile computers. AT&T gave me that 3B2 to develop some
      software and didn't want it returned when I was finished. Same thing
      happened with IBM and an AIX box using a PPC CPU and with DEC with an
      Alpha-based OSF/1 system. I wish I could have have donated all those
      to the Computer History Museum which is only 4 miles from me (now) but
      the museum didn't exist at the time (mid-1990's; the museum began in
      1996):

      http://www.computerhistory.org/

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_History_Museum

      > Welcome aboard.