New group user intro from a guy who's used UNIX since Day 1

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi All,

      I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
      Usenet comp.unix.solaris group referencing this URL:

      http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.solaris.solarisx86/39518

      The following is a one-time summary of my background so I won't need
      to post it piecemeal in subsequent articles. :-)

      I've been using computers since early 1960's at White Sands Missile
      Range for RADAR interpretation, later moving to Silicon Valley after
      an offer from the Electronic Defense Labs at which I did microwave
      circuit design and ICs and had an IBM 1130 as "my" computer for orbit
      calculations and a lot of microwave circuit analyses.

      Took an offer from a startup in 1967 (Tymshare Inc) and did all their
      EE software such as ECAP, then compiler and database design being the
      co-author of their IML (Information Management Library) product and
      later moved on to a myriad other things all computer related such as
      UNIX (I ran AT&T's Silicon Valley UNIX Users Group for the entirety
      of its existence).

      My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300 which I
      would show off at the West Coast Computer Faire in San Francisco every
      year running gcc, emacs and some games simultaneously, and I still
      have three fully-loaded 3B1s with VoicePower and other goodies.

      I was one of the first Emacs users receiving a copy mid-1970s from
      the Pentagon (one of my customers at the time) and later a printed
      manual and an updated tape from RMS in John McCarthy's office at
      Stanford in 1980; a scan of that manual is here:

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/Emacs-150_1980.09.05.pdf 210pp, 9MB

      I held the first Sun computer in my hands at this meeting hosted by
      HP-Lab's Research Center on March 4, 1982, and Sun was founded a short
      time afterwards (trivia: SUN = Stanford University Network):

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/HPCQ_SUN.pdf 1 page, 626kB

      I've been active on Usenet since its beginning and you can even see
      some of my material that appeared in the O'Reilly book "Managing
      Usenet and uucp" in this 4-page scan:

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/OR_Mng_uucp+Usenet.pdf 4pp, 165kB

      I authored many programs that appeared in comp.sources.unix with
      one of the most popular being my tprobe program to duplicate boot
      tapes (mostly Sun but it worked on everything 1000s of people tried).

      comp.sources.unix no longer exists and the shortest URL to an archive
      of tprobe is here (ASCII shar format, displays fine in any browser):

      http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/g-k/in/tprobe/tprobe

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/tprobe.pdf groff'd man page, 4p, 13kB

      A bookshelf behind my chair holds numerous SunOS/Solaris versions:

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Solaris_SPARC_SW.jpg 72kB

      I've since acquired some 20 Sun machines ranging from Sun-3/60 to
      SparcStation 20s, with 4 visible in the background of this picture
      which is 3 years old -- there are more computers now :-)

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Thad_desk.jpg 195kB

      with others in another room. The four in that picture are KVM'd
      via a LightWave switch whose controller and 13W3 adapter are here:

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Lightwave_remote.jpg 154kB

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/13W3_adapter.jpg 123kB

      I presently have one AMD-based Solaris 10 system whose configuration
      can be seen here (noting I put it on a brand-new open-box computer I
      purchased at Office Depot for US$127 in 2008):

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Solaris_10_SS.png 231kB

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/sysconfig.txt 4kB 2008

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/sysconfig_20110717.txt 4kB

      The 2nd 'sysconfig' above reflects a CPU upgrade.

      I was curious about ZFS and Solaris 11 and the only choice available
      to me was OpenIndiana; here's a Live DVD screenshot of it 30-Aug-2012:

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/OpenIndiana_Live_DVD_desktop.jpg 260kB

      and here's a screenshot of it installed on a new system I bought in
      December 2012 from Newegg:

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/OpenIndiana_installed.jpg 186kB

      and here's my OpenIndiana's system configuration as of today:

      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/OpenIndiana_sysconfig_20130201.txt 6kB

      Yes, the system double boots (OpenIndiana and Win7) because I needed
      a 32-bit Win7 to test some astronomy programs. Each OS is on its own
      disk. The HP system that it runs on was the bargain of the century
      here when the price was much lower at the time I bought it:

      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256273

      Insides of the system including how I mounted a 2nd HD in an earlier
      purchase, March 2012, of another HP dc5850:

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/HP_dc5850.jpg 156kB

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/PROCYON_disk+grommet+washer+screw.jpg 152kB

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/PROCYON_disk_inside_computer.jpg 192kB

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/PROCYON_disk_held_by_grommets.jpg 64kB

      FWIW, I'm also the co-owner of the Yahoo linux group:

      I'm looking forward to participating and helping out in this group.

      Thad
    • John Gardner
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
        On 01/02/2013, at 9:08 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:

        > a whole lot of history, which most people here carry about anyway

        And you are expecting what?

      • Jon LaBadie
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
          On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08:28AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
          >
          > My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300 which I
          > would show off at the West Coast Computer Faire in San Francisco every
          > year running gcc, emacs and some games simultaneously, and I still
          > have three fully-loaded 3B1s with VoicePower and other goodies.

          Hi Thad, long time no see.

          Jon
          --
          Jon H. LaBadie jon@...
          11226 South Shore Rd. (703) 787-0688 (H)
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
            That is excellent.

            I was an ATT 3B2 admin back in the day.

            Welcome aboard.

            Jerry

            On 02/ 1/13 10:27 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
            > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08:28AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
            >> Hi All,
            >>
            >> I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
            >>
            >> My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300 which I
            >> would show off at the West Coast Computer Faire in San Francisco every
            >> year running gcc, emacs and some games simultaneously, and I still
            >> have three fully-loaded 3B1s with VoicePower and other goodies.
            >>
            > Hi Thad, long time no see.
            >
            > Jon
          • thad_floryan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Gardner wrote:

              > On 01/02/2013, at 9:08 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:
              >
              > > a whole lot of history, which most people here carry about anywa

              I did *NOT* write the above; please learn how to correctly attribute
              articles to which you're replying. You may find these pages useful:

              http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html

              http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

              http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

              since they summarize mail list and Usenet posting guidelines distilled
              since the beginning of such activities. Most computer groups respect
              the wisdom imbued at those 4 pages.

              BTW, it's customary for a new group member to present an introduction
              as one's first posting as a courtesy to the group.

              > And you are expecting what?

              Obviously nothing from you since a quick search over this group's
              message archives reveals you post less than once a year.

              Thad
            • thad_floryan
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Jon LaBadie wrote:
                > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08:28AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
                > >
                > > My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300 which > > I would show off at the West Coast Computer Faire in San
                > > Francisco every year running gcc, emacs and some games
                > > simultaneously, and I still have three fully-loaded 3B1s with
                > > VoicePower and other goodies.
                >
                > Hi Thad, long time no see.
                >
                > Jon
                > --
                > Jon H. LaBadie jon@...
                > 11226 South Shore Rd. (703) 787-0688 (H)
                > Reston, VA 20190 (609) 477-8330 (C)

                Hi Jon!

                Small world. :-) It's always nice finding long-time friends when
                joining a "new" group. BTW, comp.sys.3b1 is still relatively active.

                Thad
              • thad_floryan
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Jerry K wrote:
                  > > On 02/ 1/13 10:27 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
                  > > [...]
                  > > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08:28AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
                  > >> Hi All,
                  > >>
                  > >> I learned of this group earlier yesterday via a URL posted in the
                  > >>
                  > >> My first home computers were AT&T 3B1 aka UNIXpc aka PC7300
                  >
                  > That is excellent.
                  >
                  > I was an ATT 3B2 admin back in the day.

                  Hi Jerry,

                  Those were "interesting" systems; I also had a 3B2/310 if I recall the
                  model number correctly -- it's been awhile and I simply ran out of
                  room to stockpile computers. AT&T gave me that 3B2 to develop some
                  software and didn't want it returned when I was finished. Same thing
                  happened with IBM and an AIX box using a PPC CPU and with DEC with an
                  Alpha-based OSF/1 system. I wish I could have have donated all those
                  to the Computer History Museum which is only 4 miles from me (now) but
                  the museum didn't exist at the time (mid-1990's; the museum began in
                  1996):

                  http://www.computerhistory.org/

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_History_Museum

                  > Welcome aboard.