Re: NV error Ultra 40/Solaris 11.1

  • pcsol1996
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@...> wrote:

      > On 12/12/12 13:40, pcsol1996 wrote:
      >
      > > John, thanks for the quick reply. I have a Quadro FX 3500 (came with
      > > machine). I downloaded the latest Quadro FX 3500 from
      > > nvidia..NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.64.run.
      >
      > Quadro FX 3500 is one of the boards moved to legacy support
      > starting with the R310 driver. You will need to stick with
      > the R304 legacy driver branch for this system.
      >

      > > However when I try to install it,
      > > it will not install as it still uses the old packaging system:
      > >
      > > pkgrm: ERROR: unable to change current working directory to
      > > </var/sadm/pkg/NVDAgraphics/install>
      > >
      > > Removal of <NVDAgraphics> failed (internal error).
      > > No changes were made to the system.
      > > ERROR: Cannot uninstall the already installed package NVDAgraphics
      > >
      > > What's the workaround for being able to install this driver on Solaris 11+?
      >
      > Follow the instructions at:
      >
      > http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+x_win/NvidiaInstallation

      Well I successfully installed the latest 304 driver with those instructions. Now I am getting a slightly different error (I verified that I am indeed running the 304 driver)

      Dec 12 20:56:44 xxxxx nvidia: [ID 702911 kern.notice] NOTICE: NVRM: nv_segmap: ddi_devmap_segmap() failed (6)
      Dec 12 20:59:37 xxxxx last message repeated 11 times

      Unlike last time, CPU usage with Xorg is not high..
    • John Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
        On 12/12/12 16:08, pcsol1996 wrote:

        > Well I successfully installed the latest 304 driver with those
        > instructions. Now I am getting a slightly different error (I verified
        > that I am indeed running the 304 driver)
        >
        > Dec 12 20:56:44 xxxxx nvidia: [ID 702911 kern.notice] NOTICE: NVRM:
        > nv_segmap: ddi_devmap_segmap() failed (6)
        > Dec 12 20:59:37 xxxxx last message repeated 11 times
        >
        > Unlike last time, CPU usage with Xorg is not high..

        The CPU usage was the only error.

        The message is just a notice (CE_NOTE), not an error. It is
        safe to ignore. For most cards, the notice will go away
        with the updated driver.
      • pcsol1996
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@...> wrote:

          > On 12/12/12 16:08, pcsol1996 wrote:
          >
          > > Well I successfully installed the latest 304 driver with those
          > > instructions. Now I am getting a slightly different error (I verified
          > > that I am indeed running the 304 driver)
          > >
          > > Dec 12 20:56:44 xxxxx nvidia: [ID 702911 kern.notice] NOTICE: NVRM:
          > > nv_segmap: ddi_devmap_segmap() failed (6)
          > > Dec 12 20:59:37 xxxxx last message repeated 11 times
          > >
          > > Unlike last time, CPU usage with Xorg is not high..
          >
          > The CPU usage was the only error.
          >
          > The message is just a notice (CE_NOTE), not an error. It is
          > safe to ignore. For most cards, the notice will go away
          > with the updated driver.

          Doh..yeah it does say NOTICE. Aargh.. Thanks a bunch!