Re: [solarisx86] Re: nVidia FX1500 gone bad

  • John Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
      On 12/02/12 20:41, John D Groenveld wrote:
      > In message <k9gv1d+tbp4@...
      > <mailto:k9gv1d%2Btbp4%40eGroups.com>>, "palowoda" writes:
      > >Over the years the three most random crashes I've noticed with
      > >hardware is:
      > >
      > >1.) CPU fan going out.
      > >2.) Cheap capacitors on the nvidia cards. And sometimes motherboards.
      > >3.) Cheap plastic fans that just seize up on the nvidia cards.
      > >
      > >You can never get away without inspection on some schedule.
      >
      > Have the gamers and other customers who demand HPGPUs convinced
      > graphics and mainboard manufacturers to monitor these via IPMI?
      > All the other fans in the ancient Ultra 40 had a BIOS monitor.

      The Xorg extension NV-CONTROL allows you to monitor the
      GPU core temperature (GPUCoreTemp) and fan speed (GPUCurrentFanSpeed).

      From a GeForce GT 640:

      $ nvidia-settings -q GPUCoreTemp

      Attribute 'GPUCoreTemp' (:0.0): 27. // degC
      'GPUCoreTemp' is an integer attribute.
      'GPUCoreTemp' is a read-only attribute.
      'GPUCoreTemp' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

      $

      $ nvidia-settings -q fans

      1 Fan on :0

      [0] :0[fan:0] (Fan 0)

      $ nvidia-settings -q :0[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed

      Attribute 'GPUCurrentFanSpeed' (:0[fan:0]): 30. // percent
      The valid values for 'GPUCurrentFanSpeed' are in the range 0 - 100
      (inclusive).
      'GPUCurrentFanSpeed' can use the following target types: Fan.

      $