Re: [solarisx86] dual boot Windows 7

  • John Martin
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
      On 10/31/12 12:59, John D Groenveld wrote:

      > Weirdly, its not consistently faulty.
      > As I've hard bounced it several times to play with X,
      > sometimes its reliable and sometimes it fails within a
      > few KB of data transfers.

      > rx_next 0

      With known packets coming in on the wire, please do
      a couple of times:

      kstat -m rge | grep rx_next

      and see if rx_next is changing.

      Could just be coincidence that rx_next happened to be
      zero when you took the kstat snapshot?

      Given the subject line, any chance the system was
      booted with Windows 7 prior to booting Solaris 11.1?
      Some Windows NIC drivers put the PHY into a low power
      state when shutting down and this state is preserved
      as the PHY usually gets its power from the V_aux rail.
      Without access to the data sheet for the PHY we may
      need to rely on the PHY being in a good state (like
      after a power on). An experiment would be to boot
      Solaris 11.1 after a cold boot possibly including
      briefly pulling the A/C brick and battery to make
      sure the PHY gets back into a known state.
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 14, 2012
        In message <50917AFE.8090603@...>, John Martin writes:
        >after a power on). An experiment would be to boot
        >Solaris 11.1 after a cold boot possibly including
        >briefly pulling the A/C brick and battery to make
        >sure the PHY gets back into a known state.

        Seems to be the hack.

        Thanks,
      • John Martin
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 15, 2012
          On 11/14/12 18:30, John D Groenveld wrote:
          > In message <50917AFE.8090603@...
          > <mailto:50917AFE.8090603%40oracle.com>>, John Martin writes:
          > >after a power on). An experiment would be to boot
          > >Solaris 11.1 after a cold boot possibly including
          > >briefly pulling the A/C brick and battery to make
          > >sure the PHY gets back into a known state.
          >
          > Seems to be the hack.

          The mac_ver for your chip (0x48800000) needs to be added
          to the rge driver. Please file an enhancement request.