Solaris 11.1?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
      Seen this tidbit from Oracle Openworld announcements.

      http://www.equities.com/news/headline-story?dt=2012-10-03&val=549961&cat=finance

      Anybody try 11.1 yet?

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
        Hi Bob,

        It's been announced, but is not shipping yet, I've not seen download nor
        IPS updates. I guess anybody who has laid an eye on it must still be
        under NDA :-)
        I'm curious about EFI boot, and how desktop features are faring in this
        release.

        Laurent

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
          In message <506D3E3A.9060801@...>, Laurent Blume writes:
          >It's been announced, but is not shipping yet, I've not seen download nor
          >IPS updates. I guess anybody who has laid an eye on it must still be
          >under NDA :-)

          November 7th according to ElReg hack (and Sam Palmisano and
          company flack?) Timothy Prickett Morgan:
          <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/03/oracle_sparc_solaris_update/page2.html>
          | Solaris 11.1, also known as Update 1, has over 300 new features and
          | performance enhancements, and it will be formally announced on
          | November 7 during an online event, which you can register for here.

          BTW Wim Coekaerts is bullish about Unbreakable Linux.
        • Alan Coopersmith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
            On 10/ 4/12 12:43 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
            > It's been announced, but is not shipping yet, I've not seen download nor
            > IPS updates.

            Yep - Oracle OpenWorld is a fixed date we can't reschedule just because our
            software is almost, but not quite yet, ready to put on the download sites.

            While I'm not allowed to promise when it will go up for download, I can point
            out there's a second "launch" webcast coming up at the start of November:
            http://event.on24.com/r.htm?e=518065&s=1&k=D8B8B55853E304E452D05A4A5359E5B9&partnerref=solarisx86@yahoogroups.com

            In the meantime, you can read up more at:
            http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/overview/solaris11-1-1845817.html
            https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/entry/announcing_oracle_solaris_11_1

            > I'm curious about EFI boot,

            It's in there.

            > and how desktop features are faring in this release.

            From the X side, 11.1 updates to X11R7.7 and Xorg server 1.12.2, and adds
            IvyBridge support to the Intel Graphics DRM/KMS kernel driver. On the side
            formerly known as JDS, I didn't keep track of all the details, but I know
            they've got Firefox & Thunderbird on the 10.0.x ESR trains.

            If you're really bored, you can actually see most of the updates to X & JDS by
            browsing the source history in the opensolaris source repos - unfortunately,
            OpenGrok's interface to that is kind of nasty, so I prefer taking advantage of
            OpenIndiana's mirrors:

            https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/x-cons/x-s11-update-clone/log
            https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/spec-files/log

            (The spec-files, aka jds, cut off a couple months early due to the master repo
            conversion from svn to hg and not resync'ing the repos across that change yet.)

            --
            -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
          • Ian Collins
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
              On 10/05/12 02:40, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
              > On 10/ 4/12 12:43 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
              >> and how desktop features are faring in this release.
              > > From the X side, 11.1 updates to X11R7.7 and Xorg server 1.12.2, and adds
              > IvyBridge support to the Intel Graphics DRM/KMS kernel driver.

              That's odd, I have an IvyBridge core i7 system where the on-chip
              graphics work and a SandyBridge one where they don't!

              --
              Ian.
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2012
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:

                > On 10/05/12 02:40, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
                > > On 10/ 4/12 12:43 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
                > >> and how desktop features are faring in this release.
                > > > From the X side, 11.1 updates to X11R7.7 and Xorg server 1.12.2, and adds
                > > IvyBridge support to the Intel Graphics DRM/KMS kernel driver.
                >
                > That's odd, I have an IvyBridge core i7 system where the on-chip
                > graphics work and a SandyBridge one where they don't!

                If you think that is odd. How about the fact that Oracle really expects anyone to connect a monitor to the port for any practical usage.