Re: [solarisx86] Got a Dell desktop today

  • Brian Richman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
      I am battling the double postings from Oracle employees (admittedly with different formatting in each), which makes for amusing quips on blogs...

      Actually the problems are usually "correcting" the address which after 3 months or so always seems to get set back to the address used on the original invoice (which is the loading dock at a goods receiving building we tore down 5 years ago) and then having to hop onto the server in question to get the latest explorer to attach to the S.R., which is all pretty bizarre as the error message and /var/adm/messages extract cut and pasted into the report shows all the details needed. Oh well (shrugs shoulders)....

      At least we are no longer slowed down by relatively slow flash interfaces...

      >________________________________

    • Brian Richman
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
        "I say, I say (Foghorn Leghorn) you need more punch cards and modems there son."

        Don't poke fun ... I remember when we used to have a budget for punch cards!

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
          In message <1343820763.59269.YahooMailNeo@...>, Brian
          Richman writes:
          >"I say, I say (Foghorn Leghorn) you need more punch cards and modems there son
          >."
          >
          >Don't poke fun ... I remember when we used to have a budget for punch cards!

          On one hand, poking fun of Chuck Rozwat and company's Unbreakable
          My Oracle Support breakage yesterday is unfair because Sun customers
          had to endure longer, more frequent FUBARs of the Sun Support
          duct-tape and chewing gum experience, while the geniuses running SUNW
          and JAVA spent zillions of dollars on things that had little if anything
          to do with encouraging more volume in Solaris systems.

          On the other hand, if you recently sent shekels towards Joanne Olsen,
          Loic le Guisquet, Andrian Jones and company's sales critters for some
          of John Fowler and company's "It Baaallloooows" and "Dogs" [tm] systems
          then you might reasonably be frustrated that you're not receiving the
          premium for Oracle's famed management competence.

          BTW on the topic of hot-tub-time-machines [tm], do customers of the
          Ed Zander-esque low-volume, high-margin Exa-mainframe appliances
          have a different interface to MOS?

        • Brian Richman
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
            >BTW on the topic of hot-tub-time-machines [tm], do customers of the

            >Ed Zander-esque low-volume, high-margin Exa-mainframe appliances
            >have a different interface to MOS?

            John,

            I think they get dinner on a silver platter.

            Us "mere" volume customers (we had more than 130 Solaris boxes just a couple of years ago), certainly don't get that level of service.

            A friend of mine who has a mix of old Sun and newer Oracle gear is actually considering going to all third party support, I think he is ticked off at having to deal with support from places like central Europe or even Asia where English is not the first language ... resulting in semi-literate responses to S.R.'s are his main grumble.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
              In message <1343847091.73560.YahooMailNeo@...>, Brian
              Richman writes:
              >I think they get dinner on a silver platter.
              >
              >Us "mere" volume customers (we had more than 130 Solaris boxes just a couple o
              >f years ago), certainly don't get that level of service.

              Here's ElReg hack (and Sam Palmisano and company flack?) Timothy
              Prickett Morgan on how many "Exa is easy" [tm] silver platters:
              <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/25/oracle_exalogic_2_software_stack/>
              | The machine has gateways to link the InfiniBand network out to the
              | Ethernet network that users need to get access to the machine. The
              | full Exalogic rack has 32 10GE ports in its multiple gateways and
              | has four 32-port InfiniBand switches. The full rack costs $1.075m,
              | with $129,000 per year in systems support and $86,000 per year in
              | operating systems support.

              I haven't seen any reporting or pressers from Judith Sim on whether
              Exa customers are satisfied with Chuck Rozwat and company's
              "Exa is easy" [tm] platinum support experience.

            • Keith Bierman
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012

                > I think he is ticked off at having to deal with support from places like
                > central Europe or even Asia where English is not the first language ...
                > resulting in semi-literate responses to S.R.'s are his main grumble.

                Having worked with, and even managed, people in such places....I have a
                little bone to pick with this description. A non-native speaker who
                is technically sharp may have some grammer, spelling or accent issues, but
                can get to the root of a problem *faster* than a naive/untrained/or subpar
                native speaker.

                English is seldom the real reason folks are unhappy with some companies
                outsourced support. The real issue is that such remote workers often do not
                have the in depth expertise and/or the intellectual flexibility that Sun
                support (in the Golden Era) had. Also, the disconnect between the
                Developers and the Support people are deeper when they aren't co-located.

                What makes matters even worse, is some organizations provide very rigid
                scripts that the first line people *must* follow. Assuming that all
                customers are equal, and focusing on the lowest common level (e.g. "is the
                computer plugged in" to, say, a call from Andy Bechtolsheim ... ensures the
                most irritation and the slowest time to solution).

                Of course, when it's a verbal interaction the combination of accent, poor
                connection, strict script, and possibly imperfect understanding combine to
                provide the maximum irritation .... especially when the customer *is*
                technically
                savvy, has done all of the obvious debugging steps, has located an actual
                issue that needs attention *and* a production system is involved.

                Keith Bierman
                khbkhb@...

              • Brian Richman
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
                  >Of course, when it's a verbal interaction the combination

                  >of accent, poor connection, strict script, and possibly

                  >imperfect understanding combine to provide the maximum

                  >irritation ....  especially when the customer *is* technically
                  >savvy, has done all of the obvious debugging steps, has

                  >located an actual issue that needs attention *and* a

                  >production system is involved.
                  It is all indeed all a part of the overall perception of a "problem" at Oracle.

                  Enough may I say, to make a lowly pest of a customer want to go elsewhere.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
                    In message <1343857633.24696.YahooMailNeo@...>, Brian
                    Richman writes:
                    >It is all indeed all a part of the overall perception of a "problem" at Ora=
                    >cle.
                    >
                    >Enough may I say, to make a lowly pest of a customer want to go elsewhere.

                    Ed Zander is a genius!

                  • Brian Richman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
                      >Ed Zander is a genius!