Re: cron going wonky....

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2012
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "hal_hl" <werner@...> wrote:

      > Any idea what could be causing so many cron processes to exist?
      >
      > I reduced the number of cron jobs that get run every minute, but that will probably only extend the failure point, not eliminate it.

      Just curious what are these cron entries that run every minute?

      ---Bob
    • Gary R. Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2012
        On 05/08/12 16:40, palowoda wrote:

        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solarisx86%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "hal_hl" <werner@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Any idea what could be causing so many cron processes to exist?
        > >
        > > I reduced the number of cron jobs that get run every minute, but that
        > will probably only extend the failure point, not eliminate it.
        > >

        > Just curious what are these cron entries that run every minute?

        Sounds like someone has an * in the first entry - perhaps by mistake?

        Cheers,
        Gary B-)
      • hal_hl
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2012
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grschmidt@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like someone has an * in the first entry - perhaps by mistake?

          Not at all...* * * * * is a perfectly valid and acceptable way to start a job that you want to run every minute.
        • John Taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2012
            On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM, hal_hl <werner@...> wrote:

            > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grschmidt@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Sounds like someone has an * in the first entry - perhaps by mistake?
            >
            > Not at all...* * * * * is a perfectly valid and acceptable way to start a job that you want to run every minute.

            Yes, but in the reality of the situation. jobs like this that don't
            complete in the minute
            create a cascading effect, WHICH YOU HAVE SEEN.

            Consider making your own daemon if you really need something running
            every minute.
          • hal_hl
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2012
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <jbt.oldemail@...> wrote:

              > Yes, but in the reality of the situation. jobs like this that don't
              > complete in the minute
              > create a cascading effect, WHICH YOU HAVE SEEN.

              No, that's not the issue. I have never seen cron spawn itself for each job it executes. Here's an example sleep 1000 cron job that runs every minute. They all have the same parent cron process. Not a different one for each job.
              Does your system behave differently?
              icam 11707 16553 0 13:32:01 ? 0:00 sleep 1000
              icam 10881 16553 0 13:31:01 ? 0:00 sleep 1000
              icam 12137 16556 0 13:32:29 pts/11 0:00 grep sleep 1000
              icam 7975 16553 0 13:28:00 ? 0:00 sleep 1000
              icam 8989 16553 0 13:29:01 ? 0:00 sleep 1000
              icam 9803 16553 0 13:30:00 ? 0:00 sleep 1000

              ptree 11707
              2317 zsched
              16553 /usr/sbin/cron
              11707 sleep 1000