Re: MEDIA: Update on Next Wednesday's Oracle Solaris Online Forum

    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2012
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

      > In message <jnkeju+h7n8@...>, "palowoda" writes:
      > > That is what you do in the market when it's a legal issue. After all lawyers
      > >are very tiny people.
      >
      > Barron's Mark Veverka suggests ORCL's a buy:
      > <URL:http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424053111903591504577363840308114540.html>
      > | ONE KNOCK ON THE COMPANY is that its pricey so-called hardware
      > | appliances are out of step with ever-cheaper raw computing power.
      > | But Hurd argues IT managers hate IT-integration costs, which makes
      > | Oracle's dedicated appliances more attractive than they seem at
      > | first glance. Oracle's hardware has slim operating-profit margins,
      > | but Hurd insists hardware profitability will strengthen markedly in
      > | fiscal 2013, as Sun's lower-end servers are phased out.

      Oh darn just when I thought that Oracles business plan on the low end was to sue the crap out of the competition and contribute nothing in respect to the future on that side. How much lower end then cell phones do you want to go?

      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2012
        In message <jnpf91+q0qa@...>, "palowoda" writes:
        > Oh darn just when I thought that Oracles business plan on the low end was to
        >sue the crap out of the competition and contribute nothing in respect to the f
        >uture on that side. How much lower end then cell phones do you want to go?

        Shame on me but I've always seen Java as a money pit and a sideshow.
        I don't think the zillion shekels Sun spent on JavaONE kept me from
        running .NET on Microstupid, but if there's juicy bits in the court
        transcript that I should read to understand Scott McNealy and company's
        fire-sale of the century of the Solaris crown jewels from an
        engineering company to a S&M company, then please reference them.

        I haven't seen any analysis of how Dorian Daley and company's case
        against Google should concern the Illumos community.

        BTW shame on Larry Page, Sergey Brin and company for breaking the
        NEWS.Google.COM API:
        <URL:http://news.google.com/news?q=solaris&scoring=d>
        WTF!
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2012
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

          > In message <jnpf91+q0qa@...>, "palowoda" writes:
          > > Oh darn just when I thought that Oracles business plan on the low end was to
          > >sue the crap out of the competition and contribute nothing in respect to the f
          > >uture on that side. How much lower end then cell phones do you want to go?
          >
          > Shame on me but I've always seen Java as a money pit and a sideshow.
          > I don't think the zillion shekels Sun spent on JavaONE kept me from
          > running .NET on Microstupid, but if there's juicy bits in the court
          > transcript that I should read to understand Scott McNealy and company's
          > fire-sale of the century of the Solaris crown jewels from an
          > engineering company to a S&M company, then please reference them.
          >
          > I haven't seen any analysis of how Dorian Daley and company's case
          > against Google should concern the Illumos community.

          Just to be clear the copyright/api/license issue goes well beyond just the Illumos community. I venture to say it affects the whole software industry as a whole.

          Message 4 of 22 , May 2, 2012
            In message <jnpf91+q0qa@...>, "palowoda" writes:
            > Oh darn just when I thought that Oracles business plan on the low end was to
            >sue the crap out of the competition and contribute nothing in respect to the f
            >uture on that side. How much lower end then cell phones do you want to go?

            See Jason Stamper:
            <URL:http://www.cbronline.com/blogs/technology/oracles-hurd-says-ipad-rival-absurd>

            <URL:http://www.cbronline.com/news/oracle-president-says-hardware-biz-will-bounce-back-31042012>

            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2012
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

              > In message <jnpf91+q0qa@...>, "palowoda" writes:
              > > Oh darn just when I thought that Oracles business plan on the low end was to
              > >sue the crap out of the competition and contribute nothing in respect to the f
              > >uture on that side. How much lower end then cell phones do you want to go?
              >
              > See Jason Stamper:
              > <URL:http://www.cbronline.com/blogs/technology/oracles-hurd-says-ipad-rival-absurd>
              > | It was the late Nineties when Oracle chief Larry Ellison joined Sun
              > | Microsystems' then-CEO Scott McNealy to evangelise the idea of thin
              > | clients with functionality to rival PCs. It was a message that sat
              > | well with Sun's "the network is the computer" mantra, coined by
              > | Sun's 21st employee John Burdette Gage.
              > |
              > | Sun did launch Sun Ray thin clients back then - Oracle still sells
              > | them today - but they failed to live up to the hype and displace the
              > | traditional PC desktop in many organisations.

              Impressive. After reading that article it appears the Hurd expects Apple and customers to rush in and make the "device" of choice for Oracle users to be driven by Iphone and Ipad. Yet Oracle seems to spend more revenue legitimizing Android as the future of Java devices which the publicly want to be recognized as the "device" of the future. Go figure.

              ---Bob
            • Brian Richman
              Message 6 of 22 , May 3, 2012
                >Yet Oracle seems to spend more revenue
                >legitimizing Android as the future of Java
                >devices which the publicly want to be
                >recognized as the "device" of the future.
                >Go figure.

                Bob,

                I recall reading several reports about 3 months ago that implied Android phones are what people buy when they tend to get new phones/migrate to smart phones from feature phones and iPhones tend to be purchased by existing Apple users. I wish I had kept that stuff and could quote it now ... Oh well. :-( I'm also curious in seeing what impact things like iPads are having on this, as I am unclear about how much tablets are cutting into sales of phones. Anyone got links to research?

                Now to my reply to your comment: So if the Apple market is as inward looking as my remembered reports imply, what effect would this have on Java?
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 5, 2012
                  In message <jntk94+q0mf@...>, "palowoda" writes:
                  > Impressive. After reading that article it appears the Hurd expects Apple and
                  >customers to rush in and make the "device" of choice for Oracle users to be dr
                  >iven by Iphone and Ipad. Yet Oracle seems to spend more revenue legitimizing A
                  >ndroid as the future of Java devices which the publicly want to be recognized
                  >as the "device" of the future. Go figure.

                  Bloomberg's Aaron Ricadela on Dorian Daley and company's epic fail:
                  <URL:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-04/oracle-s-legal-defeat-means-less-cash-from-java-sales.html>

                  Perhaps Larry Ellison and company can monetize the OpenSolaris
                  ecosystem...whoops nevermind.

                  BTW nice to Nexenta doing well with Illumos, see ElReg's Chris Mellor:
                  <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/05/nexenta_exabytes/>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 11, 2012
                    In message <jnhgit+40n5@...>, "palowoda" writes:
                    > What was nice is in section III is they had some real customers talking about
                    > the transitions. One of them mentioned running the Oracle DB on zfs. It would
                    > be interesting to hear one of Oracles Linux customers running Oracle DB on BT
                    >RFS in production and what the experience was like.

                    Sean Michael Kerner reports a shake-up among John Fowler and
                    company's Unbreakable Linux team:
                    <URL:http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/oracle-loses-top-linux-filesystem-dev.html>

                    John
                    groevneld@...
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 12, 2012
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

                      > In message <jnhgit+40n5@...>, "palowoda" writes:
                      > > What was nice is in section III is they had some real customers talking about
                      > > the transitions. One of them mentioned running the Oracle DB on zfs. It would
                      > > be interesting to hear one of Oracles Linux customers running Oracle DB on BT
                      > >RFS in production and what the experience was like.
                      >
                      > Sean Michael Kerner reports a shake-up among John Fowler and
                      > company's Unbreakable Linux team:
                      > <URL:http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/oracle-loses-top-linux-filesystem-dev.html>

                      Well you can't blame Chris Mason for getting a chance to work on FusionIO products. That company has an interesting product line.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 12, 2012