Sendmail (re)compile to smtp auth, S10

  • Attila Nagy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      it would be nice to have smtp auth at our site. We use Solaris 10. To get the latest publicly available "Sendmail+Sun" sources, I downloaded the onnv-gate from opensolaris.org.
      I have found a lot of description on how to "upgrade" sendmail to auth capabilities; that's fairly doable :)
      When I navigate to onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/sendmail and edit the Makefiles (to include sasl-related stuff), and say "gmake" it fails - eventually wants to include a few files from ../..
      Is there a way to compile only one package/command or do I have to compile the whole onnv-gate?
      Could please somebody shed some light on it?

      Thanks a lot,
    • John Weekley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
        On 01/04/12 05:05, Attila Nagy wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > it would be nice to have smtp auth at our site. We use Solaris 10. To get the latest publicly available "Sendmail+Sun" sources, I downloaded the onnv-gate from opensolaris.org.
        > I have found a lot of description on how to "upgrade" sendmail to auth capabilities; that's fairly doable :)
        > When I navigate to onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/sendmail and edit the Makefiles (to include sasl-related stuff), and say "gmake" it fails - eventually wants to include a few files from ../..
        > Is there a way to compile only one package/command or do I have to compile the whole onnv-gate?
        > Could please somebody shed some light on it?
        >
        > Thanks a lot,

        If you're not required to use sendmail take a look at postfix:
        http://www.postfix.org/
        smtp auth and considerably more.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Attila Nagy <nagy.attila@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > it would be nice to have smtp auth at our site. We use Solaris 10. To get the latest publicly available "Sendmail+Sun" sources, I downloaded the onnv-gate from opensolaris.org.
          > I have found a lot of description on how to "upgrade" sendmail to auth capabilities; that's fairly doable :)
          > When I navigate to onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/sendmail and edit the Makefiles (to include sasl-related stuff), and say "gmake" it fails - eventually wants to include a few files from ../..
          > Is there a way to compile only one package/command or do I have to compile the whole onnv-gate?
          > Could please somebody shed some light on it?

          Interesting, it looks like the illumos gate just got a putback for that one:
          [04:29:49] *** libkeiser has joined #illumos
          [04:39:42] *** AxlFoley has joined #illumos

          Might want to ask on the openindiana irc chat which build.

          ---Bob
        • Attila Nagy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
            Hi,

            thanks for the pointer!
            Honestly - I am not an MTA magician :)... so I thought that I could build a drop-in replacement for our sendmail, and change only the auth-related stuff in the config, and leave everything else alone :)
            I did try postfix a good few years ago, but then I got some help for sendmail, and since then I just copied the config to the new/upgraded system(s).
            Maybe I'll give it a go.

            Thanks!

            > > it would be nice to have smtp auth at our site. We use
            > Solaris 10. To get the latest publicly available
            > "Sendmail+Sun" sources, I downloaded the onnv-gate from
            > opensolaris.org.
            > > I have found a lot of description on how to "upgrade"
            > sendmail to auth capabilities; that's fairly doable :)
            > > When I navigate to onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/sendmail and
            > edit the Makefiles (to include sasl-related stuff), and say
            > "gmake" it fails - eventually wants to include a few files
            > from ../..
            > > Is there a way to compile only one package/command or
            > do I have to compile the whole onnv-gate?
            > > Could please somebody shed some light on it?
            > >
            > > Thanks a lot,
            > >

            > If you're not required to use sendmail take a look at
            > postfix:
            > http://www.postfix.org/
            > smtp auth and considerably more.
            >

            > John