Re: Solaris 10 Update 10

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 17, 2011
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

      > In message <4E72EBD7.7030506@...>, Alan Coopersmith writes:
      > >Yep, press released:
      > > http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/488426
      >
      > I'm no MBA, but I think that's an example of Larry Ellison
      > excellent vs Scott McNealy decent execution.
      >
      > Kudos to Judith Sim and company for marketing the best
      > operating system on the planet at an obvious opportunity.
      >
      > Yes, yes, I am haven't forgotten malign competence vs
      > benign incompetence, but John Fowler's supporting quote
      > reminds me of what could have been had the engineering company
      > had tad more competent leadership:
      > | "Oracle Solaris 10 set the standard for enterprise operating systems
      > | with its proven enterprise-class availability, security and
      > | performance. This update takes the best UNIX for SPARC and x86 and
      > | makes it even better," said John Fowler, executive vice president,
      > | Systems, Oracle. "With Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 and the upcoming
      > | Oracle Solaris 11 release, we are continuing to demonstrate our
      > | ongoing commitment to Oracle Solaris, providing the easiest, most
      > | cost-effective path to leading-edge innovation for both new and
      > | current customers."

      I think Mr Fowler has his work cut out for him when the part;

      "providing the easiest, most cost-effective path to leading-edge innovation for both new and current customers."

      when the enterprise customers have to upgrade from 10 to 11. All eyes are focused on the big show at Oracle Openworld announcements now.

      ---Bob
    • Jesus Cea
      • Alan Coopersmith
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 21, 2011
          On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
          > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
          > again...

          The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
          made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
          build 17b.

          --
          -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
        • John Taylor
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
            On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
            <alan.coopersmith@...> wrote:

            > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
            > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
            > > again...
            >
            > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
            > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
            > build 17b.

            Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
          • Chris Ridd
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
              On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:

              > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
              > <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>> wrote:
              > >

              > > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
              > > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
              > > > again...
              > >
              > > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
              > > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
              > > build 17b.
              >
              > Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.

              The dormant Apache one?

              <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>

              Chris
            • John Taylor
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@...> wrote:
                > On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:
                >>

                >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
                >> <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>>
                >> wrote:
                >>  >
                >>  >
                >>  >
                >>  > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
                >>  > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO.
                >> Downloading
                >>  > > again...
                >>  >
                >>  > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
                >>  > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
                >>  > build 17b.
                >>
                >> Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
                >
                > The dormant Apache one?
                >
                > <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>

                Yes. I like the project. I'm hoping that RL and work will calm down later
                this year, and I will probably find somewhere to help host for that project.

                Ben
              • Chris Ridd
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                  On 22/09/2011 14:22, John Taylor wrote:

                  > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@...
                  > <mailto:chris.ridd%40isode.com>> wrote:
                  > > On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:
                  > >>

                  > >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
                  > >> <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>
                  > <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>>

                  > >> Downloading

                  > accidentally
                  > >>
                  > >> Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
                  > >
                  > > The dormant Apache one?
                  > >
                  > > <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>
                  >
                  > Yes. I like the project. I'm hoping that RL and work will calm down later
                  > this year, and I will probably find somewhere to help host for that project.
                  >
                  > Ben

                  I like the sound of it too, but it does look to be a bit dead. Pining
                  for the fjords, maybe.

                  The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                  (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                  LLVM's a pretty active project.

                  Chris
                • Bob Friesenhahn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                    > for the fjords, maybe.
                    >
                    > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                    > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                    > LLVM's a pretty active project.

                    Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                    something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                    distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                    with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                    dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.

                    See

                    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml

                    This is in addition to any LLVM development activities on a new
                    libstdc++.

                    Bob
                    --
                    Bob Friesenhahn
                    bfriesen@..., http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                      On 22/09/2011 15:02, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

                      > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                      > > for the fjords, maybe.
                      > >
                      > > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                      > > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                      > > LLVM's a pretty active project.
                      >
                      > Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                      > something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                      > distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                      > with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                      > dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.
                      >
                      > See
                      >
                      > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml
                      >
                      > This is in addition to any LLVM development activities on a new
                      > libstdc++.

                      No, the LLVM folks are writing their own MIT- and BSD-like licensed
                      library. They make their case on <http://libcxx.llvm.org/>.

                      Chris
                    • Stefan Teleman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                        On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:02, Bob Friesenhahn
                        <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                        > > for the fjords, maybe.
                        > >
                        > > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                        > > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                        > > LLVM's a pretty active project.
                        >
                        > Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                        > something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                        > distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                        > with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                        > dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.
                        >
                        > See
                        >
                        > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml

                        libcxxrt is NOT the C++ Standard Library [ often and incorrectly
                        identified as STL ]. That is the C++ run-time support library. Meaning
                        the C++ run-time which deals with exception handling, stack unwinding,
                        dynamic_cast<>, etc. As a matter of fact, PathScale uses the Apache
                        C++ Standard Library (which they also refuse to patch and ship it with
                        bugs).

                        --Stefan

                        --
                        Stefan Teleman
                        KDE e.V.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                          On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:

                          >> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml
                          >
                          > libcxxrt is NOT the C++ Standard Library [ often and incorrectly
                          > identified as STL ]. That is the C++ run-time support library. Meaning
                          > the C++ run-time which deals with exception handling, stack unwinding,
                          > dynamic_cast<>, etc. As a matter of fact, PathScale uses the Apache
                          > C++ Standard Library (which they also refuse to patch and ship it with
                          > bugs).

                          Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                          less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.

                          Bob
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                            On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                            <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                            > Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                            > less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.

                            Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                            two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                            insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                            distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.

                            May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?

                            --Stefan

                            --
                            Stefan Teleman
                            KDE e.V.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                              On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:

                              > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                              > <bfriesen@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                              >> less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.
                              >
                              > Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                              > two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                              > insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                              > distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.

                              There is no need to be insulting. It reflects poorly on yourself.
                              Previously you trashed Solaris as well so one wonders why you are even
                              on this list. The term "baby steps" refered to the BSD-licensed
                              libcxxrt, which you deemed to be trivial and insignificant.

                              > May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?

                              Than GPLv3 of course.

                              Bob
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                                On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:26, Bob Friesenhahn
                                <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                                > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:
                                >
                                > > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                                > > <bfriesen@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                                > >> less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.
                                > >
                                > > Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                                > > two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                                > > insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                                > > distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.
                                >
                                > There is no need to be insulting. It reflects poorly on yourself.

                                If my pointing out to you your own confusion is insulting to you, then
                                perhaps you should take a sufficient amount of time and clarify for
                                yourself first exactly what it is that you are trying to say, and
                                verify that what you are saying is actually correct, before saying it.
                                This way you'll hopefully feel less insulted and perhaps more
                                correcter.

                                > Previously you trashed Solaris as well so one wonders why you are even
                                > on this list.

                                One can keep wondering, although it is really none of one's business.

                                > The term "baby steps" refered to the BSD-licensed
                                > libcxxrt, which you deemed to be trivial and insignificant.

                                This statement of yours makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

                                I pointed out to you that libcxxrt is not the C++ Standard Library,
                                which is obviously what you believed when you wrote your original
                                post. I also pointed out that the C++ Standard Library and C++ STL are
                                not one and the same thing (which has long been a source of
                                confusion).

                                You replied to my making these distinctions categorizing them as "baby steps".

                                Now you claim that when you wrote "baby steps" you were talking about
                                libcxxrt? Fine, then please explain this libcxxrt "baby steps" thing,
                                although I don't believe for a minute that this is what you really
                                meant. How is libcxxrt "baby steps"?

                                Please stop manufacturing quotes and at the same time attributing them
                                to me. You are already deep enough into public embarrassment because
                                of your own original public statements. There's no need for you to
                                have to start explaining the additional fiction you liberally
                                attribute to me.

                                > > May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?
                                >
                                > Than GPLv3 of course.

                                Ah, yes, of course, the GPLv3. I don't suppose it would be useful to
                                ask you to explain what you mean by GPLv3 being "encumbered", because
                                I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

                                --Stefan

                                --
                                Stefan Teleman
                                KDE e.V.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                                  Gentlebeings, can we return this to a more civil level? Both of you have
                                  made good contributions in the past, and I'm sure will in the future.