Re: [solarisx86] Solaris 10 Update 10

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 16, 2011
      In message <4E72EBD7.7030506@...>, Alan Coopersmith writes:
      >Yep, press released:
      > http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/488426

      I'm no MBA, but I think that's an example of Larry Ellison
      excellent vs Scott McNealy decent execution.

      Kudos to Judith Sim and company for marketing the best
      operating system on the planet at an obvious opportunity.

      Yes, yes, I am haven't forgotten malign competence vs
      benign incompetence, but John Fowler's supporting quote
      reminds me of what could have been had the engineering company
      had tad more competent leadership:

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 17, 2011
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

        > In message <4E72EBD7.7030506@...>, Alan Coopersmith writes:
        > >Yep, press released:
        > > http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/488426
        >
        > I'm no MBA, but I think that's an example of Larry Ellison
        > excellent vs Scott McNealy decent execution.
        >
        > Kudos to Judith Sim and company for marketing the best
        > operating system on the planet at an obvious opportunity.
        >
        > Yes, yes, I am haven't forgotten malign competence vs
        > benign incompetence, but John Fowler's supporting quote
        > reminds me of what could have been had the engineering company
        > had tad more competent leadership:
        > | "Oracle Solaris 10 set the standard for enterprise operating systems
        > | with its proven enterprise-class availability, security and
        > | performance. This update takes the best UNIX for SPARC and x86 and
        > | makes it even better," said John Fowler, executive vice president,
        > | Systems, Oracle. "With Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 and the upcoming
        > | Oracle Solaris 11 release, we are continuing to demonstrate our
        > | ongoing commitment to Oracle Solaris, providing the easiest, most
        > | cost-effective path to leading-edge innovation for both new and
        > | current customers."

        I think Mr Fowler has his work cut out for him when the part;

        "providing the easiest, most cost-effective path to leading-edge innovation for both new and current customers."

        when the enterprise customers have to upgrade from 10 to 11. All eyes are focused on the big show at Oracle Openworld announcements now.

        ---Bob
      • Jesus Cea
        • Alan Coopersmith
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 21, 2011
            On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
            > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
            > again...

            The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
            made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
            build 17b.

            --
            -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
          • John Taylor
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
              On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
              <alan.coopersmith@...> wrote:

              > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
              > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
              > > again...
              >
              > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
              > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
              > build 17b.

              Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
            • Chris Ridd
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
                > <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>> wrote:
                > >

                > > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
                > > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO. Downloading
                > > > again...
                > >
                > > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
                > > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
                > > build 17b.
                >
                > Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.

                The dormant Apache one?

                <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>

                Chris
              • John Taylor
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                  On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@...> wrote:
                  > On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:
                  >>

                  >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
                  >> <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>  >
                  >>  >
                  >>  >
                  >>  > On 09/21/11 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:
                  >>  > > The MD5 have changed, compared with the leaked August ISO.
                  >> Downloading
                  >>  > > again...
                  >>  >
                  >>  > The contents have changed - the release candidate that was accidentally
                  >>  > made public with the staging site was build 17a, the actual release is
                  >>  > build 17b.
                  >>
                  >> Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
                  >
                  > The dormant Apache one?
                  >
                  > <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>

                  Yes. I like the project. I'm hoping that RL and work will calm down later
                  this year, and I will probably find somewhere to help host for that project.

                  Ben
                • Chris Ridd
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                    On 22/09/2011 14:22, John Taylor wrote:

                    > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@...
                    > <mailto:chris.ridd%40isode.com>> wrote:
                    > > On 22/09/2011 12:12, John Taylor wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Coopersmith
                    > >> <alan.coopersmith@... <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>
                    > <mailto:alan.coopersmith%40oracle.com>>

                    > >> Downloading

                    > accidentally
                    > >>
                    > >> Oooh. stdc++ got added to Solaris 10/Update 10. How odd.
                    > >
                    > > The dormant Apache one?
                    > >
                    > > <http://stdcxx.apache.org/status/2011-02.txt>
                    >
                    > Yes. I like the project. I'm hoping that RL and work will calm down later
                    > this year, and I will probably find somewhere to help host for that project.
                    >
                    > Ben

                    I like the sound of it too, but it does look to be a bit dead. Pining
                    for the fjords, maybe.

                    The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                    (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                    LLVM's a pretty active project.

                    Chris
                  • Bob Friesenhahn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                      On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                      > for the fjords, maybe.
                      >
                      > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                      > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                      > LLVM's a pretty active project.

                      Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                      something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                      distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                      with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                      dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.

                      See

                      http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml

                      This is in addition to any LLVM development activities on a new
                      libstdc++.

                      Bob
                      --
                      Bob Friesenhahn
                      bfriesen@..., http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                        On 22/09/2011 15:02, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

                        > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                        > > for the fjords, maybe.
                        > >
                        > > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                        > > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                        > > LLVM's a pretty active project.
                        >
                        > Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                        > something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                        > distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                        > with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                        > dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.
                        >
                        > See
                        >
                        > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml
                        >
                        > This is in addition to any LLVM development activities on a new
                        > libstdc++.

                        No, the LLVM folks are writing their own MIT- and BSD-like licensed
                        library. They make their case on <http://libcxx.llvm.org/>.

                        Chris
                      • Stefan Teleman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                          On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:02, Bob Friesenhahn
                          <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Chris Ridd wrote:
                          > > for the fjords, maybe.
                          > >
                          > > The LLVM folks were going to write their own libstdc++, which might be
                          > > (assuming they don't make it depend on their compiler) a better bet.
                          > > LLVM's a pretty active project.
                          >
                          > Recently the FreeBSD Foundation acquired a non-exclusive license to
                          > something called libcxxrt (a standard C++ STL library) for
                          > distribution under BSD-license terms. Presumably this would be used
                          > with LLVM on FreeBSD since FreeBSD is transitioning away from
                          > dependence on non-BSD-licensed development bits.
                          >
                          > See
                          >
                          > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml

                          libcxxrt is NOT the C++ Standard Library [ often and incorrectly
                          identified as STL ]. That is the C++ run-time support library. Meaning
                          the C++ run-time which deals with exception handling, stack unwinding,
                          dynamic_cast<>, etc. As a matter of fact, PathScale uses the Apache
                          C++ Standard Library (which they also refuse to patch and ship it with
                          bugs).

                          --Stefan

                          --
                          Stefan Teleman
                          KDE e.V.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                            On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:

                            >> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/Pathscale-PRrelease.shtml
                            >
                            > libcxxrt is NOT the C++ Standard Library [ often and incorrectly
                            > identified as STL ]. That is the C++ run-time support library. Meaning
                            > the C++ run-time which deals with exception handling, stack unwinding,
                            > dynamic_cast<>, etc. As a matter of fact, PathScale uses the Apache
                            > C++ Standard Library (which they also refuse to patch and ship it with
                            > bugs).

                            Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                            less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.

                            Bob
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                              On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                              <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                              > Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                              > less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.

                              Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                              two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                              insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                              distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.

                              May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?

                              --Stefan

                              --
                              Stefan Teleman
                              KDE e.V.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                                On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:

                                > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                                > <bfriesen@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                                >> less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.
                                >
                                > Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                                > two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                                > insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                                > distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.

                                There is no need to be insulting. It reflects poorly on yourself.
                                Previously you trashed Solaris as well so one wonders why you are even
                                on this list. The term "baby steps" refered to the BSD-licensed
                                libcxxrt, which you deemed to be trivial and insignificant.

                                > May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?

                                Than GPLv3 of course.

                                Bob
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                                  On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:26, Bob Friesenhahn
                                  <bfriesen@...> wrote:

                                  > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Stefan Teleman wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36, Bob Friesenhahn
                                  > > <bfriesen@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Baby steps. Regardless, it is good to see Clang/LLVM and a
                                  > >> less-encumbered C++ library gradually emerge.
                                  > >
                                  > > Yes, to someone who doesn't understand the distinctions between the
                                  > > two libraries (such as yourself), these might certainly appear to be
                                  > > insignificant "baby steps". To the rest of us who do understand the
                                  > > distinctions, and their implications, these steps are quite giant.
                                  >
                                  > There is no need to be insulting. It reflects poorly on yourself.

                                  If my pointing out to you your own confusion is insulting to you, then
                                  perhaps you should take a sufficient amount of time and clarify for
                                  yourself first exactly what it is that you are trying to say, and
                                  verify that what you are saying is actually correct, before saying it.
                                  This way you'll hopefully feel less insulted and perhaps more
                                  correcter.

                                  > Previously you trashed Solaris as well so one wonders why you are even
                                  > on this list.

                                  One can keep wondering, although it is really none of one's business.

                                  > The term "baby steps" refered to the BSD-licensed
                                  > libcxxrt, which you deemed to be trivial and insignificant.

                                  This statement of yours makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

                                  I pointed out to you that libcxxrt is not the C++ Standard Library,
                                  which is obviously what you believed when you wrote your original
                                  post. I also pointed out that the C++ Standard Library and C++ STL are
                                  not one and the same thing (which has long been a source of
                                  confusion).

                                  You replied to my making these distinctions categorizing them as "baby steps".

                                  Now you claim that when you wrote "baby steps" you were talking about
                                  libcxxrt? Fine, then please explain this libcxxrt "baby steps" thing,
                                  although I don't believe for a minute that this is what you really
                                  meant. How is libcxxrt "baby steps"?

                                  Please stop manufacturing quotes and at the same time attributing them
                                  to me. You are already deep enough into public embarrassment because
                                  of your own original public statements. There's no need for you to
                                  have to start explaining the additional fiction you liberally
                                  attribute to me.

                                  > > May I ask: "less encumbered" than what?
                                  >
                                  > Than GPLv3 of course.

                                  Ah, yes, of course, the GPLv3. I don't suppose it would be useful to
                                  ask you to explain what you mean by GPLv3 being "encumbered", because
                                  I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

                                  --Stefan

                                  --
                                  Stefan Teleman
                                  KDE e.V.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 22, 2011
                                    Gentlebeings, can we return this to a more civil level? Both of you have
                                    made good contributions in the past, and I'm sure will in the future.