Re: Firefox 7.0 beta2

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:

      > On 09/ 1/11 10:19 AM, palowoda wrote:
      > > Well after installing Firefox 7.0 beta2 available here:
      > > http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+desktop/development
      > > Copy your old plugin directory over to the new distribution.
      > >
      > > I was trying to figure out how to determine it uses less memory (or reclaim memory) with this specific version. I've been looking at the RSS, resident memory usage but haven't seen it reduce with closing sites or resources used by Firefox.
      > >
      > > So the question is how can one measure the memory usage realtime and see if the claims that it uses memory more efficiently?
      > >
      > As the other Bob says, it isn't easy.
      >
      > memory will only be reclaimed from the process if it is needed elsewhere.
      >
      > If you really want to know in detail, you could provide your own
      > allocator library...

      Well no I'm not up to providing my own allocator library. I just want something quick and dirty. I did use procmm.sh from:
      http://tech.e2sn.com/oracle/performance/unix-performance-tools/process-memory-matrix
      Just put in a while loop procmm.sh -a pid_of_firefox sleep for a sec.

      What is interesting is watching anon usage with firefox5/6/7.
      Firefox 5 and 6 start out with about 52 - 58 meg. Goes up to about 124meg before reclaiming some memory. Firefox 7 starts out lower about 44meg. But the really interesting thing with all versions of the browsers is when anon is around 124meg and you quickly access sites and get past say about 126meg it increases up to about 224meg before reducing anon again. With firefox 7 after about 10/15 min it did reduce back down to about 60/70meg.

      This is pretty subjective as websites allocate different amounts of memory. Typically 2 to 4megs but you can run into some that really allocate memory when you hit them. Like Google+ or box.net. They can allocate 10 to 20meg of anon.

      I wonder if firefox 7 is really that more efficient with memory usage at least with respect to Solaris. I also wonder if it's possible to go over 224meg of anon by quickly accessing new sites that where not cached or accessed previously. This would difficult because you need to access a lot of different sites in a short period of time.

      So the only thing I've noticed so far is firefox 7 anon memory initially is lower and does reduce over time.

      I did run into a bug in shutting down 7.0b2 normally causes a crash of the browser when shutting down. But it doesn't affect anything.

      ---Bob
    • Clifford, Shawn A
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        You could also use the about:memory command page (similar to Chrome).

        It has lots of detail, and you should be able to compare in both versions.

        -- Shawn
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford, Shawn A" <shawn.a.clifford@...> wrote:

          > You could also use the about:memory command page (similar to Chrome).
          >
          > It has lots of detail, and you should be able to compare in both versions.

          Yes interesting. I looked at about:memory between versions 6.01 and 7.0b2 and they seem to track in general system anon memory. I did notice that about:memory in 7.0 gives more detail but it's also busted on some of the summations. It's obvious that sites that use lots of javascript really rack up the memory usage. But what is odd is (as a gross observation) firefox7 is worse with javascript memory than firefox6. Maybe that is why users like that v8 javascript engine in Chrome so much.

          One thing is for sure I haven't seen firefox going over the low 200meg usage in a while. I swear it use to leak memory in the distant past quite bad.