Nwam by default

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
      After using nwam on Solaris Express for a bit, which works nicely setting up a static IP, I've been wondering why Oracle ships it with it turned on and DHCP as default? By that I mean Oracle doesn't sell a workstation that would take advantage of nwam's default settings. So what is the logic of enabling it by default. Just trying to understand the big picture.

      ---Bob
    • Ian Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        On 06/ 3/11 01:14 PM, palowoda wrote:
        > Just trying to understand the big picture.

        There lies the road to insanity!

        --
        Ian.
      • Giovanni Tirloni
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
          On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM, palowoda <palowoda@...> wrote:

          > After using nwam on Solaris Express for a bit, which works nicely setting
          > up a static IP, I've been wondering why Oracle ships it with it turned on
          > and DHCP as default? By that I mean Oracle doesn't sell a workstation that
          > would take advantage of nwam's default settings. So what is the logic of
          > enabling it by default. Just trying to understand the big picture.

          Since we could never get a quote for a support contract on Solaris 11
          Express, I'm guessing Oracle doesn't want it running on servers at all.

          I've not seen much mentioned about S11X on Exadata/Exalogic either so I'm
          guessing again people decided to wait for Solaris 11 "proper" on those
          platforms... leading me to believe Oracle sees S11X as something for
          developer workstations where DHCP could make some sense. It also wants
          people to use S11X as a "preview" of S11 by running it on their desktops,
          which again DHCP makes sense.

          The whole "S11X is officially supported" campaign failed to mention it's
          officially supported only where they don't want conflicts with the future
          S11.. that is, not servers.

          --
          Giovanni Tirloni

        • Alan Hargreaves
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
            That's a lot of guessing and supposition, which generally leads to any
            answer that you'd like to lead to.

            Five minutes on google specifying site:www.oracle.com and a number of
            different search parameters can stop you having to guess.

            http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/overview/solaris11expfaq-186202.html
            specifically states:

            Oracle Solaris 11 Express is covered under the Oracle Premier
            Support for Operating Systems or the Oracle Premier Support for
            Systems support option for Oracle hardware, and the Oracle
            Solaris Premier Subscription for non-Oracle hardware.

            There are press releases on www.oracle.com that google found when
            searching for Solaris 11 express and exalogic or exadata.

            http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/173663 specifically cites
            Solaris 11 express as being the Solaris choice for the database nodes of
            an Exadata and http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/191712 names it
            as the Solaris for Exalogic, as does
            http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/documentation/wp-solaris-on-exalogic-cloud-345932.pdf

            Does this help to clarify things and remove the guesswork? Does it
            perhaps influence the conclusions that you drew from your guessing?

            Regards,
            Alan Hargreaves

            --
            Alan Hargreaves | Principal Technical Support Engineer | Principal Field
            Technologist

            Log, update, and monitor your Service Request online using My Oracle
            Support <http://support.oracle.com>

          • Giovanni Tirloni
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Alan Hargreaves
              <Alan.Hargreaves@...>wrote:

              > That's a lot of guessing and supposition, which generally leads to any
              > answer that you'd like to lead to.
              >
              > Five minutes on google specifying site:www.oracle.com and a number of
              > different search parameters can stop you having to guess.
              >

              > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/overview/solaris11expfaq-186202.htmlspecifically states:
              >
              > Oracle Solaris 11 Express is covered under the Oracle Premier
              > Support for Operating Systems or the Oracle Premier Support for
              > Systems support option for Oracle hardware, and the Oracle
              > Solaris Premier Subscription for non-Oracle hardware.
              >
              > There are press releases on www.oracle.com that google found when
              > searching for Solaris 11 express and exalogic or exadata.
              >
              > http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/173663 specifically cites Solaris
              > 11 express as being the Solaris choice for the database nodes of an Exadata
              > and http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/191712 names it as the
              > Solaris for Exalogic, as does
              > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/documentation/wp-solaris-on-exalogic-cloud-345932.pdf
              >
              > Does this help to clarify things and remove the guesswork? Does it perhaps
              > influence the conclusions that you drew from your guessing?

              If only theory and reality agreed... the fact is that Oracle has not
              returned our requests for S11X support for months and there is no guesswork
              there.

              --
              Giovanni Tirloni

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM, palowoda <palowoda@...> wrote:
                >

                > > After using nwam on Solaris Express for a bit, which works nicely setting
                > > up a static IP, I've been wondering why Oracle ships it with it turned on
                > > and DHCP as default? By that I mean Oracle doesn't sell a workstation that
                > > would take advantage of nwam's default settings. So what is the logic of
                > > enabling it by default. Just trying to understand the big picture.
                > >

                > Since we could never get a quote for a support contract on Solaris 11
                > Express, I'm guessing Oracle doesn't want it running on servers at all.
                >
                > I've not seen much mentioned about S11X on Exadata/Exalogic either so I'm
                > guessing again people decided to wait for Solaris 11 "proper" on those
                > platforms... leading me to believe Oracle sees S11X as something for
                > developer workstations where DHCP could make some sense. It also wants
                > people to use S11X as a "preview" of S11 by running it on their desktops,
                > which again DHCP makes sense.
                >
                > The whole "S11X is officially supported" campaign failed to mention it's
                > officially supported only where they don't want conflicts with the future
                > S11.. that is, not servers.

                Well I was thinking along the lines that zonecfg could somehow take the location data from nwam configuration and create a zone network from that. It still could be either static or dhcp but it would be based on a selection of the nwam data.

                Sorry Oracle didn't get back with you on the support contract.