Re: [solarisx86] Re: Sunrise, Sunset

    Message 1 of 36 , May 2, 2011
      Quoting Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...>:
      > Nobody said that they wanted to continue running an old Solaris.

      Well, John Taylor just did :-)

      > Many applications can not afford more than a few minutes of downtime
      > and so Live Upgrade was used to allow upgrading the system while it
      > remained on-line and then a few minutes to boot to the new version.

      Are you being serious here? Have you actually luupgraded a production
      system between *major* versions, as opposed to simply use it to patch?
      Even luupgrade between minor versions sucks those days if you are not
      extra-careful. Heck, even patching has issues, you need to check all
      SMF services every just in case one was not mysteriously disabled
      (last time for me, it was dns/client).

      Even right now, the S8 to S10 upgrade path, which is supported, is a
      bumpy one. Nobody in his right mind would attempt it, it would
      probably create more downtime than a fresh install, and even if it
      worked, which I doubt, there would be a ton of issues down the road.

      > Solaris 11 will apparently require purchasing redundant hardware so
      > that it is possible to migrate from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11.

      Yes, it will. Because very soon now, the supported hardware will not
      be the same.

      I think you either lack experience in upgrading Solaris, or yours has
      been an incredibly smooth one which gives you unrealistic
      expectations. Obviously, you never did S9 DCA to S10 GRUB.

    • Ian Collins
      Message 36 of 36 , May 3, 2011
        On 05/ 3/11 07:29 PM, palowoda wrote:
        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins<ian@...> wrote:
        >> On 05/ 3/11 02:18 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:
        >>> Donnelly links to Iain Thomson's January 28 2010 article
        >>> on Charles Phillips' discovery of the super genius plans for
        >>> the hot-tub time-machine from Ed Zander's wet-dreams:
        >>> <URL:http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1960211/oracle-details-plans-sun-integration>

        >> Ah good, so it won't change anything down here in NZ!
        > You where probably shaken up quite a bit in the past year to worry about it.
        Just a bit!