Re: [solarisx86] Re: Sunrise, Sunset

    Message 1 of 36 , May 2, 2011
      Quoting Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...>:
      > Nobody said that they wanted to continue running an old Solaris.

      Well, John Taylor just did :-)

      > Many applications can not afford more than a few minutes of downtime
      > and so Live Upgrade was used to allow upgrading the system while it
      > remained on-line and then a few minutes to boot to the new version.

      Are you being serious here? Have you actually luupgraded a production
      system between *major* versions, as opposed to simply use it to patch?
      Even luupgrade between minor versions sucks those days if you are not
      extra-careful. Heck, even patching has issues, you need to check all
      SMF services every just in case one was not mysteriously disabled
      (last time for me, it was dns/client).

      Even right now, the S8 to S10 upgrade path, which is supported, is a
      bumpy one. Nobody in his right mind would attempt it, it would
      probably create more downtime than a fresh install, and even if it
      worked, which I doubt, there would be a ton of issues down the road.

      > Solaris 11 will apparently require purchasing redundant hardware so
      > that it is possible to migrate from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11.

      Yes, it will. Because very soon now, the supported hardware will not
      be the same.

      I think you either lack experience in upgrading Solaris, or yours has
      been an incredibly smooth one which gives you unrealistic
      expectations. Obviously, you never did S9 DCA to S10 GRUB.

      Laurent
    • Ian Collins
      Message 36 of 36 , May 3, 2011
        On 05/ 3/11 07:29 PM, palowoda wrote:
        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins<ian@...> wrote:
        >> On 05/ 3/11 02:18 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:
        >>> Donnelly links to Iain Thomson's January 28 2010 article
        >>> on Charles Phillips' discovery of the super genius plans for
        >>> the hot-tub time-machine from Ed Zander's wet-dreams:
        >>> <URL:http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1960211/oracle-details-plans-sun-integration>

        >> Ah good, so it won't change anything down here in NZ!
        >>
        > You where probably shaken up quite a bit in the past year to worry about it.

        Just a bit!

        --
        Ian.